first_imgThat’s the call from senior football coach Shane Stapleton, who’s concerned about how hit-and-miss the schedule has become.He also says that the best school and colleges players are at particular risk of burn-out because of fixture congestion.The Golden-Kilfeacle club man believes the association could learn from other sports.last_img

first_imgScrumhalf John Cooney has signed from neighbours Connacht, and South African flanker Arno Botha wil join up with the squad at the end of the Super Rugby campaign in the summer.Botha was twice capped by South Africa in 2013 and captained his country in the Under 20 World Championships two years earlier.last_img

first_imgHowever speaking to Tipp FM Sport Liam Kearns said that wouldn’t be the case this time round.And you can hear the full exclusive interview with Liam Kearns on Tipp Today later this morning here on Tipp FM. Tipp senior football manager Liam Kearns says he won’t be bringing too many new players into the panel for the coming year.He and his backup team were recently reappointed for a further two year term in charge of the Premier County.Last year they were forced to bring in a large number of players to the panel.last_img read more

first_imgGumel described Keshi as a hero who left an incredible mark on the sands of time in Nigeria, Africa and World.Quoting Fred Rogers, Gumel said; ”anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero”. ”He did much more to help Nigerians with his God-given talent. He united Nigerians with his leadership in the Eagles and achieved what most people older could not. We’re devastated but pray for the well being of his children and family he left behind”, Gumel grasping to come to terms with the death of the 54-year old said.Secretary General, Hon Tunde Popoola could not hold his emotions. ”What do you mean? How can Keshi die? Why?”, Popoola, a long time friend of the Big Boss repeatedly asked as tears welled in his eyes. The secretariat of the NOC at the National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos was like a graveyard as the staff gathered in groups discussing the death the icon.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC, Engr. Habu Gumel, Secretary General, Hon Tunde Popoola were gutted by the news of the untimely death of former Super Eagles Captain and coach, Stephen Okechukwu Keshi wednesday.The flamboyant coach who was the longest captain of the Super Eagles and also one of two Africans to win the African Cup of Nations as player and coach died early morning Wednesday.last_img read more

first_img“David Mearns, on behalf of the footballer’s family, confirmed the wreckage was located earlier,” stressed the terse message on the missing plane.An  underwater search for the missing plane carrying footballer Emiliano Sala and his pilot began at the weekend.Cardiff City’s new signing disappeared with pilot David Ibbotson over the English Channel on 21 January.The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said its Geo Ocean III vessel arrived on Sunday morning to the search area.Together with a privately-funded vessel, it is conducting sonar surveys off Guernsey.The AAIB said its search was expected to last three days, while the private search will continue “until the plane is located”.Cushions believed to be from the plane were found on a beach near Surtainville, on France’s Cotentin Peninsula, on Monday.Argentine Sala, 28, and Mr Ibbotson, 59, from Crowle, North Lincolnshire, were travelling from Nantes, where Sala previously played, when the flight was lost.After Cardiff defeated Bournemouth at the weekend, Neil Warnock felt Emiliano Sala was “with” his Cardiff City team.Bobby Reid’s two goals saw Warnock’s team secure a 2-0 victory in their first home game since record-signing Sala’s plane disappeared from radar over the English Channel.Warnock was tearful as he saluted the crowd at the end of an emotional night at the Cardiff City Stadium.“I’m really proud and I’m sure he would have been,” he said.“Knowing the lad, Emiliano, as I did, I knew he would be with us today.“I said to the lads ‘We have got to perform’. I thought the whole club was amazing.“I was really pleased for the chairman, Mehmet (Dalman), and for (chief executive) Ken Choo.“I was the proudest man to be manager of the whole football club today. The fans were just amazing,” said a tearful Warnock as his players celebrate displaying a shirt with Sala’s picture. Wreckage from plane which disappeared with Cardiff City’s Emiliano Sala and pilot on board has been found in English Channel.BBC reported late last night in a breaking news that the plane has been found without any elaborate.It follows a search by two ships off Guernsey on Sunday. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgPresident Buhari also recalled that the deceased was very good at his art, and would be sorely missed by the sporting community.He prayed that Oyebanji’s soul finds eternal rest and that God would comfort all those that mourned him.Oyebanji, who had been ill for some months, passed on at National Hospital, Abuja, on Saturday morning after a protracted battle with heart failure.Also his former constituency, Lagos State Chapter of Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), described the demise of veteran sportscaster, Oyebanji as a monumental loss to the sports in the country.Lagos chairman, Mr. Debo Oshundun in a statement yesterday said late Oyebanji’s wealth of experience in the sports cirle would be greatly missed.He also prayed the family, close associates and friends would find the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.“He was a professional to core. I know he was a role model to most of us during active days at the Nigeria Television Authority. He presented the programme with a lot of dexterity and it is so unfortunately that he is no more with us but we cannot question God,” Oshundun stated.He served the NTA for 35 years in different capacity and retired as Managing Director of NTA Properties at the authority’s headquarters in Abuja.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed sorrow at the passage of veteran sports journalist, Akinloye Oyebanji, aged 62.According to a statement by the President’s spokesman, Mr Femi Adesina, in Abuja on Saturday, the President condoled with Oyebanji’s family, friends and colleagues, particularly at the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA).The president noted that the late Oyebanji had worked for 35 years at the NTA, making his mark as a sportscaster.last_img read more

first_imgUEFA has opened disciplinary proceedings against six clubs including Manchester City and Real Madrid after incidents at Champions League games this week.Manchester City and Dinamo Zagreb have both been charged after their fans threw objects while the Croatian side were also pulled up for damaging seats at the Etihad Stadium during City’s 2-0 win on Tuesday, European soccer’s governing body said on Thursday.Real Madrid were charged for a late kickoff in Tuesday’s 2-2 draw with Club Brugge while the Belgian side were cited after midfielder Ruud Vormer, who was sent off after picking up a second booking, used abusive language towards a match official. Olympiakos were charged after their fans unfurled a banner that Uefa deemed to be racist in their 3-1 loss at Red Star Belgrade. They were also charged with delaying kickoff.Red Star were charged with improper conduct after five players, including two substitutes, picked up bookings.UEFA said its Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body would meet today to hear the charges against Red Star and Olympiakos, and on October 17 to look into the other two matches.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgHemery beat Nigerian Sylvester Emmanuel 7-6 (4), 3-0. Emmanuel retired in the second set of the match. Top seed in the women’s singles, Mendez Seone from Austria beat Swedish Fanny Ostlund in straight sets of 6-2,6-2. South African teenager, Kruger Isabella defeated Tunisian Chiraz Bechri 6-4, 7-5.In other results, France’s Setodji Thomas defeated Nigerian Abayomi Oluseyi Phillips 6-2, 6-4. Osewa Michael Oluwatosin lost 3-6, 1-6 to French Meraut Tristani. Nigerian Ronke Akingbade was defeated by Nastja Kolar from Slovenia1-6, 0-6. Runner up in the women’s singles final in the first leg, Brazilian Laura Pigossi won her match against Anette Munozova of Sweden 6-4,6-0.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Barakat Oyinlomo Quadre Two Nigerian players survived first round scare when the main draws of the second leg of 2019 Lagos Open Tennis served off on Wednesday at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, Onikan.Barakat Oyinlomo Quadre was too much for her opponent from Denmark, Dasam Divine Nweke, who she beat in straight sets of 6-0,6-0 to qualify for the second round in the women’s singles. Also Blessing Samuel made it to the second round after she beat compatriot Muhammed Jumai in another straight sets of 6-2, 6-1.Meanwhile, 20-year-old Aziz Ouakaa made a surprised performance on Day One of the Main draws as he stopped opponent from Ukraine, in a three sets thrilling game. Quakaa, a first timer in the Lagos Open Tennis defeated tournament’s 7th seed, Eric Vanshelbosim 5-7,6-3,6-3. Nigerian Joseph Imeh Ubon could not complete his match against top seed in the men’s singles, Tunisian Mausouri Skander as the game was stopped 3-0 in the first set.Zimbabwe’s Garanganga Takanyi had a smooth ride over Nigeria Paul Emmanuelin a game that ended 6-1,6-3. Seventh seed Camry Hemery from France, who was the champion of the first leg, won his first round game yesterday.last_img read more

first_img Infront France Managing Director, Jean-Francois Jeanne said: “Nigeria is a key market for the English Premier League. Together with Integral we hope to maximize its media exposure in the country and provide an opportunity for passionate Nigerian fans to follow the action on Free-To-Air TV.”The Director General of the NTA, Alhaji Yakubu Ibn Mohammed stated that, “In terms of excitement, the Premier League is at a pedestal higher than that offered by any other league in the world. NTA is proud to partner with Integral to bring the excitement to the living rooms and viewing centres of Nigerians” Speaking on the deal, the Managing Director of Integral Abimbola Ilo said: “Given the huge popularity of the Premier League in Nigeria, Integral is pleased to partner with Infront to bring Nigerians the excitement of the Premier League weekly on the country’s national television station, the NTA Network. With this deal, we bring the Premier League closer to its fans in Nigeria.  Integral’s Associate Director, Sports Rights & Media Partnerships, Chichi Nwoko, added: “We are pleased to secure this important deal that guarantees availability of the Premier League, a globally recognized brand, on Free-To-Air TV in Nigeria. The inclusion of the Premier League–produced magazine programmes also brings fans exciting up-to-date content of their favourite Premier League clubs.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Nigeria’s leading sports marketing Company, Integral Sponsorship and Experiential Marketing Limited has secured the media rights to broadcast a Live English Premier League match per week on Free-To-Air television over the course of the 2019/2022 rights cycle. The Sub-license deal from Infront, a Wanda Sports Group company and current rights holder for Free-To-Air distribution rights in Sub-Saharan Africa, allows one live match per match-week. Integral has therefore consequentially secured the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), the national terrestrial broadcaster in Nigeria, as the broadcaster of choice for the matches. The media rights package also includes the Premier League–produced magazine show, which will be aired weekly, thus delivering this most loved football tournament in the world to Nigerians. last_img read more

first_img LIVE TV Written By SUBSCRIBE TO US FOLLOW US Last Updated: 12th August, 2020 12:29 IST Pandemic Hits Birmingham CWG, Multi-site Athletes Village To Replace Single Accommodation Facility The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the organisers of the 2022 Commonwealth Games to opt for a multi-site athletes village instead of building single accommodation facility for players and officials COMMENTcenter_img First Published: 12th August, 2020 12:29 IST The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the organisers of the 2022 Commonwealth Games to opt for a multi-site athletes village instead of building single accommodation facility for players and officials.According to the Games organisers, the athletes and team officials will now be housed in three campus villages at The University of Birmingham, The University of Warwick, and The NEC Hotel Campus.The 500 million pound village was being constructed on the former Birmingham City University site in Perry Barr and was set to provide accommodation to 6,500 athletes and team officials.However, the organisers scrapped the idea after sensing that it could not be delivered on time due to the pandemic.The new campus model will see 1,600 athletes and officials housed at the NEC Hotel Campus, 1,900 at The University of Warwick, and the principal village with 2,800 at The University of Birmingham.”The decision to move away from the single site athletes’ village in the Perry Barr area of the city has been made by the Games Partnership with just under two years to go, after reviewing the impact of the global health pandemic,” read a statement from the orgainsers.”With a shorter than normal timeframe for delivery of the Birmingham 2022 Games, the new build accommodation site was under continued review from the outset, with expert consultation throughout, and had very little scope to withstand the impact COVID-19 has had on construction.” The organisers further claimed that the new three-site campus model for Birmingham 2022 athlete accommodation will be delivered within the overall Games budget of 778 million pound, and insisted that the Games remained on track.The decision to move to three campus villages across the West Midlands has the support of athlete representatives and Commonwealth Games Associations across the world who have been apprised of the new plans.”These are challenging times for all of us and delivering a major multi-sports event during this period has meant we have needed to collaborate effectively, be pragmatic to change, and remain realistic about the challenges we face,” Ian Reid, CEO of Birmingham 2022 said.”We recognise that this new model is a move away from the historic norm and we are grateful for the support shown by our partners across the Commonwealth Games Associations.” The 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games are scheduled to be held from July 28 to August 8. Image credits: AP Press Trust Of India WATCH US LIVElast_img read more