first_imgAs there continues to be uncertainty over the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) Board of Directors, Cabinet is currently looking at some new names.This was revealed by Agriculture Minister Noel Holder, who said on Thursday that Cabinet was still continuing deliberations on the appointment of a Board of Directors for GuySuCo, adding that new names are being looked at.“We are discussing possible names… I put some names up, they look at it. They say vetting (by) this other person and so on and so forth. So, it’s in the course of being discussed,” the Minister said.Of recent, there have been reports of an apparent tug-o-war within the coalition over the sugar industry, which is now under the control of a Special Purpose Unit that was created under the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL) for the divestment process.In fact, reports had surfaced about disagreements allegedly between Ministers from the two coalition parties regarding the chairmanship and members of the GuySuCo Board. It was reported early March that Finance Minister Winston Jordan had allegedly proposed for Head of SPU, Colvin Heath-London, to be the Chairman of the new GuySuCo Board after the previous body had expired on February 14. The purported proposal was reportedly not accepted by the other Cabinet members.However, Minister Jordan had subsequently issued a statement denying making such a suggestion, saying that he was in Jamaica for a Pre-Governors meeting of the Inter-American Development Board (IDB) and thus was not present for the Cabinet meeting.Meanwhile, about two weeks later, NICIL published the names of the new Board, naming Heath-London as Chairman while the other members included Fritz McLean, Komal Singh, Verna Adrian, Vishnu Panday, Annette Arjoon, Arianne Mc Lean, Roshan Khan Jr and George Jervis, with two other names to be added to the 11-member body. A full-page ad had detailed that the new Board was approved by Cabinet on February 26, 2018.However, Minister of State, Joseph Harmon had said the same day that there were some issues with regard to the timing of the ad and Cabinet was reviewing the matter.Addressing the issue, Minister Holder brushed aside reports of an apparent power struggle within the Cabinet, saying his Ministry was constitutionally responsible for the sugar industry.“The Corporation is totally and solely owned by the Government of Guyana. The Minister of Agriculture answers to Parliament for what happens in GuySuCo. I am accountable to this nation for its activities; therefore, the Minister of Agriculture should have responsibility for GuySuCo. Therefore, the Minister of Agriculture will appoint the Board of GuySuCo,” Holder posited.Furthermore, the Agriculture Minister went on to outline that NICIL was a creature of the Government and thus carried out instructions from the executive.“NICIL is a holding company. It holds the shares for GuySuCo; it holds the shares for Guyoil; it holds the shares perhaps for GPL; it’s a holding company. It is not a government and, therefore, it carries out instructions of the Government… Perhaps someone didn’t tell NICIL their role,” Holder noted.last_img read more

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsDistrict Attorney David Schutt said the girls planned the poisoning to retaliate against the victims for putting shaving cream in Quesnoy and Sweeney’s hair at a slumber party. Both girls testified that they wanted their victims dead. LAKEVIEW, Ore. – A 13-year-old girl convicted of attempting to kill two classmates by slipping rat poison into their milk was sentenced to up to 12 years in a juvenile detention center. Holly Sweeney was ordered Friday to remain at the Hillcrest Girls’ School in Salem until she is 25 with early release possible if she responds to treatment, the judge ruled. Earlier this month, the judge found the Lakeview girl and her friend, Stephanie Quesnoy, 12, guilty of plotting and executing a plan to kill two classmates they disliked. Quesnoy is to be sentenced May 22. The girls put d-Con rat poison in the milk of two classmates Sept. 19 during lunch at Daly Middle School. The victims noticed green crystalline pellets in the bottom of their milk cartons and neither was injured. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more