first_imgJapan on Tuesday warned of more heavy rain on the southwestern island of Kyushu and bolstered rescue operations as the death toll in flood-hit areas reached at least 50 and about a dozen people were reported missing.The government said it would double rescue and relief personnel as heavy rain destroyed homes and caused landslides in what is shaping up to be Japan’s worst natural disaster since Typhoon Hagibis killed 90 people in October.”The rain front is expected to remain until the ninth (of July), and rain is expected over a wide front stretching from western to eastern Japan,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a regular press briefing. Police, Self-Defense Force and Coast Guard units are carrying out search and rescue efforts, said Suga, urging people to take the necessary precautions to keep safe.Images aired by public broadcaster NHK showed swollen rivers, destroyed homes and roads covered in landslides.Kyodo News reported 71 landslides across 12 prefectures, citing the land ministry, and said more than 1.3 million people had been ordered to evacuate.Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the government would double rescue and relief personnel, from day-earlier levels, to 80,000. Some companies in the region have temporarily halted operations but Suga said he did not expect major disruptions to supply chains, as happened two years ago when deadly floods also hit Kyushu.The government will continue to liaise with local firms, Suga said, adding: “We want to quickly take the necessary steps such as support for small and mid-sized firms depending on the situation ahead.”Carmakers Toyota Motor and Mazda Motor, and electronics conglomerate Panasonic Corp all halted operations at certain plants on Monday due to heavy rains.Mazda resumed work at its Hiroshima and Hofu plants on Tuesday and Panasonic said its sensor plant in Kagoshima was operating normally on Tuesday.Toyota said it would keep all three of its Kyushu plants closed on Tuesday after halting production the previous evening for safety reasons. Topics :last_img read more

first_img Related News Itoje suffered a knee injury in the impressive win at the Aviva Stadium, so Lawes comes into the second row.Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury and Ben Moon were not involved last weekend, but the trio have been named among the replacements by coach Eddie Jones. Six Nations 2019: England’s ‘remarkable’ depth softens Maro Itoje loss Chris Ashton gets the nod over Jack Nowell and Courtney Lawes replaces Maro Itoje on the England squad that will face France on Sunday in the Six Nations.Wing Ashton will make his first start in the competition in six years at Twickenham as Nowell drops to the bench after a 32-20 victory over reigning champion Ireland in Dublin. There is no place in the 23 for Ellis Genge and Harry Williams, however, as England eyes revenge following their defeat last year in Paris.Your England team to face France on Sunday in the #GuinnessSixNationsK.O 15:00 GMT, LIVE on @ITV.Preview https://t.co/5Ovvau7823#ENGvFRA #CarryThemHome pic.twitter.com/nQD44UMqha— England Rugby (@EnglandRugby) February 8, 2019England: Elliot Daly, Chris Ashton, Henry Slade, Manu Tuilagi, Jonny May, Owen Farrell (captain), Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Jamie George, Kyle Sinckler, Courtney Lawes, George Kruis, Mark Wilson, Tom Curry, Billy Vunipola.Replacements: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Ben Moon, Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, Nathan Hughes, Dan Robson, George Ford, Jack Nowell.last_img read more