first_img19 February 2013Darren Fichardt captured the Africa Open Golf Challenge in East London on Sunday to continue the recent run of success by local golfers in European Tour events hosted in South Africa.South African golfers have won four of the eight European Tour events so far contested in 2013, all of those victories coming in South Africa. Only Scotland’s Scott Jamieson, with a win in the rain-shortened Nelson Mandela Championship, has managed to break SA’s monopoly on home soil.One more South African tournament remains on the 2013 European Tour schedule – the Tshwane Open, a new addition to the Tour, which takes place from 28 February to 3 March.The Africa Open, co-sanctioned by the Sunshine Tour and European Tour, has produced a South African winner every year since it began in 2008.Fichardt won the latest edition by two shots over France’s Gregory Bourdy and fellow South African Jaco van Zyl on Sunday, despite dropping three shots over the last five holes in winds that topped 60km/h. His 16-under-par total was worth €158 500 (R1.88-million).The victory was his first European Tour win on home soil. “It’s fantastic to win a European Tour event here at home,” Fichardt said after securing the title. “I’ve won three times in Europe but I’ve always wanted to add a Sunshine Tour co-sanctioned event to my tally.‘Special’“To have my name on the trophy with Charl [Schwartzel], Retief [Goosen] and Louis [Oosthuizen] makes winning here in Buffalo City just so much more special.”Fichardt’s other European Tour wins came in 2012 in the Saint-Omer Open, the Qatar Masters in 2003 and the Sao Paulo Brazil Open in 2001. In all three of his previous wins, as it was in East London, he either led or shared the lead heading into the final round.Overall, it was Fichardt’s 20 win as a professional and his 14th on the Sunshine Tour. It also earned him a place in next year’s Volvo Golf Champions and a European Tour exemption until the end of 2014.In addition, victory boosted him 46 places in the Official World Golf Rankings, up to 100th in the world.AmbitionBuoyed by winning the title, Fichardt said he wanted to lift the level of his game even higher. “I want to move that one step further. I’ve now won four times on the European Tour. I need to start getting into the majors and world events and contend in those events.”Adilson da Silva made the early running, reaching the halfway mark on 14-under-par 130 after rounds of 10-under-par 62 and four-under 68. That left him three shots clear of Jaco van Zyl, four ahead of John Parry and and six in front of Fichardt and Oliver Bekker.The Brazilian, however, couldn’t hold his game together in the windy conditions at the East London Golf Club and slid down the leaderboard to finish in a tie for 12th on nine-under-par 279 after rounds of 73 and 76.Made his moveFichardt, meanwhile, made his move with a superb seven-under-par 65 in the third round, which was bettered only by Spain’s Jorge Campillo, with a 63 and Italian Emiliano Grillo, who went around in 64 shots.While Fichardt dropped those three shots late in his round to close with a 71, the difficult conditions meant only 12 players bettered his effort over the last 18 holes.After rounds of 69, 67, 65 and 71, he finished on 16-under-par 272. Bourdy and Van Zyl ended on 274 and Garth Mulroy on 275.LEADERBOARD 272 Darren Fichardt (RSA) (-16) 69, 67, 65, 71274 Gregory Bourdy (Fra) (-14) 70, 67, 67, 70274 Jaco van Zyl (RSA) (-14) 66, 67, 68, 73275 Garth Mulroy (RSA) (-13) 72, 67, 69, 67277 Desvonde Botes (RSA) (-11) 74, 67, 66, 70277 Andy Sullivan (Eng) (-11) 70, 70, 69, 68277 Mark Tullo (Chi) (-11) 69, 69, 68, 71277 Tjaart van der Walt (RSA) (-11) 70, 68, 68, 71 Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Pork Leadership Institute (PLI) combines curriculums from National Pork Board and National Pork Producers Council leadership programs to create comprehensive training designed to develop future pork industry leaders. Upon graduation, participants better understand the roles of the two organizations and have developed the skills necessary to lead an ever-changing pork industry.Two Ohioans are taking part in this year’s PLI, Brad Heimerl from Johnstown and Rich Deaton from New Madison.“There is so much you can learn and you can truly understand where pig farming is throughout the nation,” Heimerl said. “We took a trip to Mexico which allowed us to see trade and just how close and intertwined we are with marketing to other countries.”The experience also promotes leadership within the pork industry and instills knowledge that can be taken back to the farm to better the operation.One of the biggest takeaways for Heimerl was a trip to the Nation’s Capital, where he was able to meet with his legislators to visit about the biggest issues facing the pork industry including antibiotics, keeping costs in check and pork competitive in the world market.“There are numerous amounts of issues that come and go that highly affect what we are trying to accomplish — getting our products out there,” Heimerl said. “With the help of NPB and NPPC, we collaboratively have a unified front to make sure that we as pork producers can strive to do the best that we can.”PLI isn’t only meant for the younger members of the pork industry. Even seasoned producers, like Deaton, are seeing benefits from being in the program.“I’m in a time in my life where I can give back to an industry that has been very good to me,” said Deaton, who farms alongside his two sons. “Pork Leadership Institute is a way for me to broaden my horizon and learn more about what that the pork checkoff offers, how we can get involved with legislation that has an impact on my farm and to meet other producers, like myself, and share stories and experiences.”To find out more about the program, contact the Ohio Pork Council or the National Pork Board.last_img read more

first_imgPune:The Devendra Fadnavis-led Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government has crores to spend on publicity stunts and propaganda campaigns, but no money for farmers, said Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader and former Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar on Friday. Attacking the State government’s ‘Mi Labharthi (I am a beneficiary)’media blitz as part of the Congress and NCP’s ‘Halla Bol’ yatra in Latur district in the arid Marathwada region, Mr. Pawar said, “No one has benefited from any of this [BJP] government’s promises. The much-touted farm loan waiver has come a cropper. Farmers are devoid of even basic amenities like round-the-clock electricity as opposed to states like Telangana which provide 24 hours electricity to their farmers.” Power billsThe NCP leader further alleged that the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Corporation Ltd. (MSEDCL) was forcefully recovering money from the farmers, which in turn was driving them towards suicide. Mr. Pawar visited Shahaji Rathod, a farmer from Ujani village in Latur’s Ausa Taluka at a local hospital and announced ₹1 lakh for his treatment.Mr. Rathod had recently attempting suicide in front of the local MSEDC office by consuming a poisonous substance as he was allegedly unable to pay his electricity bill. “The Rathod family runs a humble flour mill to make ends meet… Shahaji’s case is an example of the BJP government’s apathy towards the State’s farmers. What happened to the government’s ‘solar krishi pump’ scheme, which was scuppered after the distribution of a mere 2,200 pumps,” asked Mr. Pawar.last_img read more

first_imgBrace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “Have been very, very tough conditions yesterday and today,” said the top-ranked Nadal, who played at night on Friday after the temperatures had dropped. “It’s not nice to see players suffering that much on court.”The tournament’s extreme heat policy calls for the roofs to be closed on the main show courts and play to be suspended on outer courts when the temperature reaches 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) and the wet-bulb globe temperature (WBGT), which takes into account humidity and wind speed, reaches 32.5 Celsius (90.5 Fahrenheit).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe high temperature Friday marginally topped 40 Celsius, but the WBGT remained below the threshold, so play was not halted.Cornet said she began feeling dizzy at the beginning of the second set against Belgium’s Elise Mertens and, at one point, fell to her back on the court in obvious distress. She received a medical timeout so a trainer could check her pulse and blood pressure and wrap her in an ice vest before she returned to the court. Cornet was able to finish the match, losing 7-5, 6-4. But she later said it was “dangerous” to play in that kind of heat.“The (official) limit of not playing the match is really high. I think this limit should be a little bit lower because playing in this condition is not nice for anyone,” she said. “I would never give up because of (the heat), that’s for sure. But you push your body so hard, you almost feel like you’re on the edge.”Tournament director Craig Tiley defended the response of officials to the extreme heat on both Thursday and Friday, saying “we start the event with this set of rules and policies in place, and in the interest of fairness, can’t change them halfway through.”“Protecting our players and the fairness of the competition is paramount in these conditions, which we acknowledge can be challenging,” he said, adding the extreme heat policy would be reviewed after the tournament to see if adjustments need to be made.Petra Martic, who won a two-hour, third-round match against Luksika Kumkhum during the hottest part of the day on Friday, said she got blisters on her feet from the sizzling court and had to take painkillers after the second set.ADVERTISEMENT France’s Alize Cornet is attended to by a trainer and tournament staff after suffering from the heat during her third round match against Belgium’s Elise Mertens at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill)MELBOURNE, Australia — French player Alize Cornet has called for the extreme heat policy at the Australian Open to be re-evaluated after she said she nearly fainted in the broiling temperatures during her third-round match Friday at Melbourne Park.Other players echoed her concerns, with Rafael Nadal saying playing in such extreme heat can be “a little bit dangerous for the health.”ADVERTISEMENT Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closed 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments DOST-Pagasa 11 A.M. weather update, November 22, 2019 PLAY LIST 05:08DOST-Pagasa 11 A.M. weather update, November 22, 201900:50Trending Articles04:04‘Quiel’ now a severe tropical storm – Pagasa01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Defense wins games for GlobalPort in streak Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa “It’s really tough on your feet to play in these conditions,” she said. “I was hoping they would close (the roof), but the temperature was not high enough. … So unfortunately it stayed this way.”French player Gael Monfils staggered through part of his second-round loss to Novak Djokovic on Thursday, saying he “had a small heat stroke for 40 minutes,” and likewise described the conditions as a risk to players.Roger Federer, who requested to play at night to avoid the blistering heat on Thursday, said he believed the officials were doing the best they could under the circumstances.“What do you do … stop all matches? The lucky guys on the big courts, they get to play under the roof. The other guys get postponed till the next day? Is that great?” he said. “Is everybody going to finish at 3 in the morning, like a rainy day in New York. I’ve had that, too. Is that better? I’m not sure, honestly.”Click here for more weather related news.” Read Next MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LATEST STORIES Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraqlast_img read more

first_imgUnion Sports Minister Ajay Maken.Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken on Tuesday said the government was being pressurised through diplomatic channels by some companies, involved in organising the Commonwealth Games (CWG), to get their unpaid dues. Terming it unfair practice, Maken said the payments would be cleared but the government was waiting for the clearance on such companies by the investigation agencies probing the alleged irregularities in the conduct of the Games. “Efforts are being made to put pressure through diplomatic channels. It is not fair. Companies not under the scanner have been paid their money,” Maken said outside Parliament. Unpaid bills related to the Delhi Games held in October last year are turning out to be a major embarrassment for India. As many as eight countries had recently lodged an official complaint with the government over yet to be cleared payments of $74 million related to the CWG. A letter signed jointly by the top diplomats of these countries – Australia and seven from Europe (Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands) – has warned the government that putting off the issue further might affect future investment in India. These countries want India to pay back for broken contracts and equipment still stuck in customs since the Delhi Games. They have also complained bitterly about unpaid fees for organising the opening and closing ceremonies.- With agency inputslast_img read more

first_imgCosta Rica stars run onto the pitch after winning the penalty shootout against Greece Costa Rica beat Greece in a penalty shootout Sunday to reach the World Cup quarterfinals for the first time after defending with 10 men for nearly an hour.Statistical Highlights | Match Photos Michael Umana scored the decisive penalty as Costa Rica won the shootout 5-3 after the game ended 1-1 following extra time.Greece’s Theofanis Gekas saw his penalty saved by Costa Rica goalkeeper Keylor Navas for the only miss in the shootout.Costa Rica will play the Netherlands in the quarterfinals.Costa Rica had taken the lead early in the second half through captain Bryan Ruiz but then had defender Oscar Duarte sent off in the 66th minute with a second yellow card for a mistimed tackle on Jose Holebas.The red card changed the game at Arena Pernambuco and Greece poured forward for most of the remainder of the match.The Greeks equalized in injury time when defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos smashed in a rebound to finally make the team’s numerical advantage pay.Greece continued to storm forward in extra time but couldn’t find a way past Navas, who made the victory-clinching save in the shootout after saving his team for most of the match with a succession of last-gasp stops.The victory delighted the majority of the just over 41,000 fans in Recife as the Brazilian locals shouted for Costa Rica throughout the round-of-16 game.While the Costa Rican team made World Cup history for its small Central American nation, it also ended Greece’s best-ever run. Greece was playing in the second round for the first time.advertisementAfter a scoreless first half, Ruiz slid his low shot into the right corner of Greece’s goal for the lead after a pull-back by winger Christian Bolanos from the left.Duarte made a clumsy challenge on Holebas, however, and Costa Rica reverted to all-out defense to try and hang on for the win.They nearly did it, but yet another save from Navas fell to Papastathopoulos in the first minute of injury time and he powered his shot home to give Greece hope.Team Line-ups(from):Costa Rica: Keylor Navas; Giancarlo Gonzalez, Michael Umana, Oscar Duarte, Junior Diaz, Cristian Gamboa; Celso Borges, Christian Bolanos, Yeltsin Tejeda; Joel Campbell, Bryan Ruiz.Greece: Orestis Karnezis; Kostas Manolas, Vasileios Torosidis, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, Jose Holebas; Andreas Samaris, Lazaros Christodoulopoulos, Giorgos Karagounis, Giannis Maniatis; Georgios Samaras, Dimitris Salpingidislast_img read more