first_imgENTERTAINMENT: Some of the best acts in Country Music are set to perform at the Banks of the Foyle Music festival which gets underway tonight.A massive crowd of country music enthusiasts are expected to attend the festival which has attracted some top-class musical talent. Derek Ryan and Lisa McHugh are two of the star attractions at the festival and will draw big crowds on Friday and Sunday night respectively.However, there really is something for everyone at this superb festival.Tonight, a JIVING MASTERCLASS with kick-off proceedings with Kevin O’Kane.The festival takes place in the beautiful Greysteel area of Derry and lasts from tonight until Sunday. So make and get along to the brilliant Banks of the Foyle Music festival this weekend.THE BEST IN COUNTRY MUSIC TO PERFORM AT BANKS OF THE FOYLE MUSIC FESTIVAL was last modified: August 27th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EntertainmentFeaturesnewslast_img read more

first_imgThe Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday shunted out the District Magistrate and the Superintendent of Police of Sonbhadra, besides ordering action against 13 other officials after they were indicted in an inquiry into the killing of 10 Gond tribals last month over a land dispute.‘FIRs against guilty’ Addressing a press conference at his residence, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said FIRs will be registered against several police and administration officials for alleged irregularities and members of the Adarsh Krishi Sahkari Samiti, Umbha, on charges of land grabbing. The disputed land in Umbha and Saphi villages will also be transferred back and registered in the name of the gram sabha, he said, while announcing that a Special Investigation Team will look into the matter. Mr. Adityanath said departmental proceedings have been initiated against Sonbhadra District Magistrate Ankit Kumar Agrawal and Superintendent of Police Salman Taj Patil for taking “one-sided decision” against the villagers. Directives have been issued to attach Mr. Agrawal and Mr. Patil to the Personnel Department and the DGP Headquarters, respectively, he said. S. Ramalingam has been made the new District Magistrate of Sonbhadra, while Prabhakar Chaudhary is the new Superintendent of Police, officials said. “The entire matter will be probed by an SIT. The SIT will be headed by DIG SIT J. Ravindra Gaud and will have Additional SP Amrita Mishra along with three inspectors. DG SIT R.P. Singh will be monitoring the work of the SIT,” the Chief Minister said. He said another team will be set up under Additional Chief Secretary (Revenue) Renuka Kumar to look into the issue of land grabbing by “fake” societies in the last 60-70 years in Mirzapur and Sonbhadra.‘No action on report’ “Fake societies in Sonbhadra and Mirzapur have grabbed more than one lakh acre of land. In 1972, the then Chief Minister Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna had constituted a probe committee under Mangaldev Visharad. However, no action was taken as a number of Congress leaders were involved,” Mr. Adityanath said.last_img read more

first_imgHouston Rockets’ Chris Paul, right, steps over Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry (30) after losing the ball out of bounds during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Oct. 17, 2017, in Oakland, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Houston guard Chris Paul is out for the Rockets’ game in Sacramento on Wednesday night because of a bruised left knee and coach Mike D’Antoni isn’t counting on him Saturday for the home opener against Dallas.“It’s not a concern, it’s just nagging,” D’Antoni said before the game against the Kings. “We’ll sit him until the training staff thinks he’s ready to go and try to get over it totally.”ADVERTISEMENT View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong Citycenter_img Kin of Misamis Oriental hero cop to get death benefits, award — PNP Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Tuesday’s game was the first since March 9, 2015, that Paul was held to four or fewer points.D’Antoni isn’t concerned about Paul falling behind integrating and getting comfortable alongside JamesHarden in one of the Western Conference’s newest backcourt dynamic duos.“I don’t think it’s a challenge, you’ve got two great players that play very well on the ball and off the ball,” D’Antoni said. “I don’t see a problem. He wasn’t healthy yesterday so he was going half speed and we’re playing Golden State, so that was the challenge yesterday. They’ve looked good in practice. I think they’ll keep figuring things out a little bit better and make it easier on each other. But we’re looking forward to just getting him back healthy.”ADVERTISEMENT Hayward from hospital: It’s hurting me that I can’t be there Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Eric Gordon was to start in place of Paul, who still could be ready by Saturday but D’Antoni said, “I think he’s still in play but I think it’s hard.”Paul had four points and shot 2 for 9 in the Rockets’ season-opening 122-121 win at Golden State on Tuesday night but was limited by soreness in the knee. He led the Rockets with 11 assists and also grabbed eight rebounds, while playing 33 minutes in his regular-season debut with Houston after being traded away by the Los Angeles Clippers during the offseason.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Man, I got through it,” Paul told reporters after the game in Oakland. “It was cool. Tough game, but it’s all about getting the win.”Paul was hampered at the end of the preseason by the knee pain which continued flaring Tuesday, and D’Antoni said the perennial All-Star “is playing on one leg right now.” LATEST STORIES Read Nextlast_img read more

first_imgNeyveli, Apr 20 (PTI) L Jyothsana, who won a silver medal in the Asian Youth Chess Championship in Tashkent recently, was felicitated by the NLC India Limited management, her sponsor. The expenses of Jyothsana, a seventh standard student of St. Joseph of Cluny Matriculation Higher Secondary School here, to participate in the tournament were borne by NLC. NLC India Chairman and Managing Director Dr Sarat Kumar Acharya, Director-HR R Vikraman and Chief General Manager – Sports & CSR R Mohan praised Jyothsana for her performance at a function yesterday, said a NLC press release. The players father L K Lakshminarayanan, who is executive engineer – electrical, Mine-I, thanked the NLC India management for the support. Jyothsana had won a silver medal in the under-14 section of the championship. She also won a bronze medal in the Blitz event and was placed 5th in the Rapid category in the same meet. She is being trained by A Pavanasam, deputy chief manager – Sports Development Centre, NLC India Ltd. PTI SS VS SSlast_img read more

first_imgGandhinagar, Aug 26 (PTI) Fees charged by the schools affiliated to the Central Board of Secondary Education should be as per the norms fixed by the state government, CBSE chairman R K Chaturvedi said today.”Our affiliation by-laws say the fee should be commensurate with infrastructure and facilities offered by the school. The quantum of fee should be on par with the (respective) state governments norms,” Chaturvedi said, speaking to reporters at the Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India here.Chaturvedis statement comes even as CBSE schools have moved the Gujarat High Court against the state governments decision to regulate fees of all private schools, including the CBSE-affiliated ones, through the Gujarat Self-Financed Schools (Regulation of Fees) Act, 2017.”(Information about) Fee should be put in the public domain….logical explanation should be given as to on what basis the fee is charged,” he said.The CBSE is thinking of giving “accreditation” to its affiliated schools, he said.”We are discussing norms for accreditation. It will decide where the school stands in terms of quality, through a third-party evaluation. It will be then easy for parents to decide how one school is better than the other,” he said.”Results, quality of education, parents and teachers satisfaction, retention of teachers, index of happiness, infrastructure, fee, sports, all these parameters will form the basis to evaluate schools. We will begin the process from this academic year and implement it by next year,” he said.Chaturvedi was here to meet representatives of CBSE schools from Gujarat, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra and discuss with them the Boards decision to do away with school-based examination in Class X, and addition of applied entrepreneurship as a vocational subject for Classes XI-XII.advertisement”We want to associate ourselves with EDII in this regard (additional course)…The concept has been accepted, and details are being worked out,” he said. PTI KA PD KRK SRElast_img read more

first_imgAston Villa goalkeeper Tom Heaton: Embrace top 2 testby Paul Vegasa day agoSend to a friendShare the loveAston Villa goalkeeper Tom Heaton says they must embrace their upcoming two games.Villa travel to reigning champions Manchester City on Saturday before hosting current leaders Liverpool the following weekend.Goalkeeper Heaton said: “They are widely regarded as the two best teams in the league and we are playing them back-to-back – that is what the Premier League is all about.“There is no fear or worry there. It is just a hunger to go and embrace the games, to go and put our stamp on them and try and get the wins.“Of course, it is going to be tough. We know how much quality they gave got. They are both great sides.“But we have a lot of quality here. These are the kind of teams you want to go up against. We have seen already this season it can be done. We just want to make sure we give ourselves the best chance.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgGary Pinkel after big win against BYU.Gary Pinkel DanceMissouri head coach Gary Pinkel announced yesterday that he would stepping down at the end of this season due to health reasons. Whether it’s been his team’s up-and-down season, the unrest on campus, or his personal battle with lymphoma, Pinkel has faced more than his fair share of adversity this fall. So perhaps that’s why the scene following Missouri’s 20-16 win over BYU tonight was so touching. After the game, Pinkel’s players surrounded him, chanted his name, and urged him to dance. The veteran head coach obliged, and appeared to get emotional in doing so. “and the GP, GP ayyyyyyy chant has erupted” among players pic.twitter.com/vdwQ8ddega— Ashley Zavala (@ZavalaA) November 15, 2015Dance Gary Pinkel. Dance. pic.twitter.com/7LouzovljA— Dr. Saturday (@YahooDrSaturday) November 15, 2015That’s awesome. Hats off to Pinkel and his team.last_img read more

first_imgPARIS – The first paying guests to the ground-floor studio flat newly posted on Airbnb were innocuous enough: A family, come to experience the joys of Paris, like many millions of others.Franck Briand, who lives in the apartment directly above, now looks back on that moment as the start of what he calls his Airbnb “nightmare.” The ensuing four years, he says, have been an incessant carousel of late-night parties, drunken revelers and the rattle of newly arrived groups, sometimes 15 at a time, dragging wheeled suitcases across the cobbled courtyard.“I want to leave,” Briand says. “But I said to myself that it shouldn’t be the weakest, those under threat, who give in.”Paris, long one of the world’s top destinations, is still grateful for the billions of euros (dollars) that tourists pump into the French capital’s economy and the 300,000 jobs they sustain. But Parisians and City Hall officials also are expressing deep qualms about having so many visitors directly in their midst, no longer largely corralled in hotels but instead living, albeit temporarily, cheek-by-jowl with locals in properties rented online.The backlash in Paris against intrusive, on-your-doorstep tourism hasn’t yet reached the proportions of other heavily visited cities. Venice and Barcelona, among other destinations, have seen repeated protests. But concerns voiced in top European destinations are often the same: That mass tourism and its online platforms are hollowing cities out, driving away locals with higher prices, higher rents and sheer inconvenience.Jacques Boutault, mayor of Paris’ central 2nd arrondissement, is among those sounding the alarm. The rectangular district he oversees, boxed in by some of the city’s must-visit sites, including the Pompidou art museum, has experienced a precipitous population decline as Airbnb has taken Paris by storm, with more listings than any other city worldwide.“The population is changing completely, from those who have been here for years to one that is just passing through,” says Boutault, the district mayor since 2001. The 2nd arrondissement has lost 3,000 inhabitants in the past four years, more than 10 per cent of its total and many of them families, he says. The district’s schools have shut three classes as a result.“I don’t want to be the mayor of a museum, that’s to say pretty walls where people spend a bit of time and then leave,” Boutault says. “It’s important that town centres remain authentic and alive. In fact, that’s what tourists come for.”In 2012, Airbnb had 4,000 Paris-area listings. That surged to more than 40,000 by 2015, when Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky was welcomed at City Hall. Three years on, Airbnb counts 65,000 listings inside Paris alone. But relations with City Hall have soured.Paris Deputy Mayor Ian Brossat, in charge of housing, says the capital has lost 20,000 homes in five years, “homes that were lived in by Parisians but are now populated by tourists. They are no longer homes, they are clandestine hotels.”“Airbnb has veered away from its original model,” he says. “We’ve gone from a sharing economy to a type of predatory economy, with professionals that bought homes, sometimes buildings, in bulk to transform them into cash machines. So our role is to restore some order.”To regulate the growth of Airbnb and similar platforms, Paris has since December required proprietors who list online to register. Parisians are only allowed to rent out the property they actually live in to tourists, and for a total of no more than 120 days a year. Any other Paris residence they may have can’t be rented to tourists at all.But even with inspection teams going door-to-door and fines for the most egregious violators, the rules remain scantily enforced. Brossat is now lobbying for a blanket ban on tourist rentals in central Paris, arguing that home owners in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th arrondissements — “those most impacted by the Airbnb phenomenon,” he says — should still be allowed to rent out spare rooms but not their entire property.Airbnb France, in a statement, called Brossat’s proposal “out of touch with public opinion, divorced from legal reality.” It said renting out properties on Airbnb helps Parisians “boost their income and afford rising living costs in their communities, where housing capacity has failed to meet demand for decades.”More pressure on Airbnb and similar sites is coming with a new housing law about to get parliament’s final blessing. It opens the door for large fines to be levied against sites that host properties not in conformity with French regulations.Brossat expects the law to mark a turning point.“The gentrification of Paris didn’t start with Airbnb. But Airbnb is an accelerator of gentrification,” he said. “The risk is that Paris becomes a city no longer lived in by inhabitants but solely by tourists or foreign investors.”___Oleg Cetinic contributed to this report.last_img read more

first_imgVICTORIA, B.C. — Citizens’ Services Minister Jinny Sims announced yesterday that the provincial government will contribute $7 million for Shaw Communications to build a fibre-optic cable along the Hart Highway between Prince George and Dawson Creek.The fibre optic line that will be built from the Northern Cariboo to the Peace Region will be just over 400 kilometres in length, and is one of four connectivity projects being funded by the B.C. government. Shaw has had issues serving the Peace Region in the past, and yesterday’s announcement came just one day after an issue with a fibre line caused Shaw customers in Fort St. John, Taylor, and Dawson Creek to experience a service interruption. Last year, Shaw customers in the Peace experienced three separate outages due to issues with the company’s network.On Tuesday, Sims announced that the Province and Feds are both partnering with internet service providers on $38 million worth of Internet infrastructure across B.C., with the provincial government contributing $11.3 million in total. “This is not just an investment in high-speed internet, it’s an investment in the future for those living in rural, First Nations and Indigenous communities, so they have access to cutting-edge emergency services, high-quality health care, world-class education and improved ability to participate in the growing digital economy,” said Sims. “By working with our federal and local partners, we are leveraging relationships to give people in these communities the same internet access as those living in major urban centres.”The announcement was part of an event hosted by Canada’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains, as the federal government committed a further $19,748,063 to the four projects.“Access to high-speed internet is not a luxury, it’s essential,” said Bains. “High-speed internet service is a basic tool that all Canadians should have access to, regardless of their postal code. Canadians need this service to do business, upgrade their education and build stronger communities. Thanks to our Connect to Innovate program, more Canadians will be able to participate fully in the digital economy.”last_img read more