first_imgIn a bid to check the spree of illegal encroachments on the hill slopes of the district’s eco-sensitive Pavana dam area, the Western Bench of the National Green Tribunal has issued notices to the State Environment Department, and 53 other people, including many celebrities.A Bench comprising Justices S.P. Wangdi and Dr. Nagin Nanda was acting on an environment interest litigation (EIL) filed by Sanjay Vishwanath ‘Bala’ Bhegade, a Bharatiya Janata Party legislator from Maval, around 18 km from the city.“The area [in Maval Taluk] under the water catchments of the Pavana Dam, surrounded by hills, has been declared as an ‘eco-sensitive zone’ by the committee formed by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in 2000 under the Chairmanship of Dr. Pronab Sen,” reads Mr. Bhegade’s petition.However, recently, a number of diamond merchants, cricketers, industrialists and Bollywood personalities have built luxurious villas and farm-houses on the hills, said advocate Asim Sarode, counsel for the petitioner.“The illicit constructions are shearing away the natural contours on the hilltops and hill-slopes, and the rampant felling of trees was causing permanent damage to the environment,” said Mr. Bhegade.Mr. Bhegade also alleged that the constructions had already disrupted water channels, forcing streams and rivers to alter their natural flowing path, posing a serious risk of landslides. “Earlier, some villagers had approached government authorities to apprise them of the situation. But other than sending notices to the owners of the illegal constructions, no action was taken. Hence, I have filed this EIL,” Mr. Bhegade said. Despite the ecological damage and a significant reduction of forest and green cover area, the taluk still retains its importance as a forest area rich in biodiversity, as is noted by the Madhav Gadgil and Kasturirangan panels on the ecological preservation of the Western Ghats, Mr. Sarode said.The tribunal also reprimanded the Pune Metropolitan Region Development Authority (PMRDA) and the Maharashtra State Biodiversity Board for the rise in encroachments in the area. The next hearing is set for August 6.last_img read more

first_imgMILO executives during the announcement of the Philippine team for the FC Barcelona training on Wednesday. Photo by Bong LozadaThirteen kids are set to go on a trip of a lifetime as they head to  Spain this October to experience the brand of football of the La Liga giant FC Barcelona.The selected youngsters, who were chosen after two-day camp conducted by MILO and FCB Escola Youth Academy, will be in Barcelona from October 15 to 23 for a series of trainings and other activities including watching a live La Liga match between Barcelona and Malaga at Camp Nou.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  View comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary LATEST STORIES But Willy De Ocampo, the Vice President and Business Unit Manager of MILO Philippines, said they are “committed to bringing everybody to Barcelona.”“Rest assured there won’t be anyone left behind, everyone will fly either on Saturday or Thursday,” said De Ocampo. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fightcenter_img Tamaraws come up short against the Green Archers anew From 150 participants, Lien Dale Manuel, Lara Angela Amante, Liam Arc Villaran, Kevin Hadap, Heaven Andrei Teodosio, Lorenzo Miguel Castillo Plaza, Alexis Caitlin Tan, Joseph Kyne Garces, Marcus Lucas Arias, Lorenz Albert Tortona, Enzo Gacutan Courbet, Boris Malcolm Uy, and Ethan Jacob Roxas impressed coaches the most during the camp held last September 2 to 3.“We believe that we have a really good team of kids who exemplify the right mix of values and skills that both MILO and FC Barcelona advocate,” said the brand’s sports executive Robbie De Vera Wednesday during the press conference in Taguig.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutFormer Barcelona defender Eric Abidal will also join the young footballers in the training camp where they will also undergo classroom sessions at FCB Escola and technical skills development on the pitch.Unfortunately, there were hiccups when it came to processing of visa with a some of the kids with only a few days left before the trip. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

first_imgPakistan President Asif Ali Zardari was in his devastating best on Saturday. “Nobody would be allowed to impose his views through the barrel of the gun and dictate his brand of Islam?nobody can force anyone to offer namaz and sport beard?there are some ‘asteen ke sanp’ [poisonous snakes hidden in our sleeves] and some from outside who are our enemies?. We have to live in history, while others want to live in tomorrow’s headlines.” These were the words Zardari spoke while addressing a public meeting on the inauguration of the Benazir Bhutto Apna Ghar housing scheme for PIA employees here. “We are turning their (Bhuttos’) words into action and we are not merely raising slogans as we are not political actors. We are making and saving Pakistan,” he added. Fight the terrorists to the last manAccording to reports in Dawn, The News International, Urdu daily Jang among other newspapers, President Zardari declared: “We are at war with terrorists and shall fight them to the last man and make Pakistan secure for ourselves and the future generation.” “After making workers owner of 12 per cent shares in various organisations, this scheme is part of the PPP’s promise of ‘roti, kapra, aur makan’ (food, clothing and shelter).” Sri Lanka-type fight Referring to Sri Lanka’s fight against Tamil Tigers for more than four decades, President Zardari expressed a similar resolve and said that those who wanted to take over this country through the barrel of the gun and by imposing their brand of Islam would never succeed.advertisement “Our enemies are foreign as well as within,” he said.  Zardari said the government was determined to make Pakistan secure for future generations from elements who were against its integrity. He said that former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto had warned against the designs of the terrorists when she talked about Swat and was subsequently assassinated. Critics are ‘political actors’ He said that best revenge of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto’s martyrdom was to work hard and make Pakistan prosperous and economically strong and safe for the coming generation. Responding to critics who he described as ‘political actors’, he said that PPP did not believe in slogan mongering like them but was working for the welfare of people, especially the downtrodden. That is why its leaders are and will be remembered in history. In an apparent reference to the elements advocating for regime change Mr Zardari said: “No seth can dictate us who will form the government and who will not.”The people will remember the PPP’s period of governance for its service to the people, he said, adding: “We have to live in history, while others want to live in tomorrow’s headlines.” The president said that now prime ministers would only be made by the people and not by influential political leaders.last_img read more

first_imgUnion Sports Minister Ajay Maken.Union Sports Minister Ajay Maken on Tuesday said the government was being pressurised through diplomatic channels by some companies, involved in organising the Commonwealth Games (CWG), to get their unpaid dues. Terming it unfair practice, Maken said the payments would be cleared but the government was waiting for the clearance on such companies by the investigation agencies probing the alleged irregularities in the conduct of the Games. “Efforts are being made to put pressure through diplomatic channels. It is not fair. Companies not under the scanner have been paid their money,” Maken said outside Parliament. Unpaid bills related to the Delhi Games held in October last year are turning out to be a major embarrassment for India. As many as eight countries had recently lodged an official complaint with the government over yet to be cleared payments of $74 million related to the CWG. A letter signed jointly by the top diplomats of these countries – Australia and seven from Europe (Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland and the Netherlands) – has warned the government that putting off the issue further might affect future investment in India. These countries want India to pay back for broken contracts and equipment still stuck in customs since the Delhi Games. They have also complained bitterly about unpaid fees for organising the opening and closing ceremonies.- With agency inputslast_img read more