first_imgJamaica Scorpions, on the back of another shallow batting display, were yesterday defeated by 117 runs on the final day of their top-of-the-table WICB First-Class Championship clash against leaders and title-holders Guyana Jaguars at Sabina Park. Starting the day on 83 for three and needing another 244 runs to win, Jamaica were blown away for 208 midway the post-lunch session. Leading the Guyana bowling charge was outstanding 19-year-old left-arm spinner, Gudakesh Motie, who claimed six for 33 to take his tournament-leading tally to 34 wickets. The lanky Motie, playing in his debut first-class season and fifth match overall, last year represented West Indies Under-19s at the ICC Youth World Cup. “It was a disappointing performance, particularly as it relates to our batting,” bemoaned Scorpions captain, Paul Palmer Jr. “Our bowlers did well, especially in the first innings, but our batsmen did not back them up.” He added: “It is now a setback for us as Guyana have moved further ahead in the standings. But it is still midway the season and we still have time, so hopefully we can catch up with them.” Jamaica now have three wins and two defeats and lie third in the standings on 53 points. Guyana, unbeaten after five matches, extended their tally to 85, while Barbados Pride, who defeated Leeward Island Hurricanes by 10 wickets, are second on 63 points. The tournament, being played on a home-and-away basis over 10 rounds, will take a break to facilitate the holiday season, as well as the NAGICO Super50 regional one-day tournament, which bowls off in January. Volcanoes, Red Force draw AT THE BEAUSEJOUR CRICKET STADIUM: Windward Islands Volcanoes drew with Trinidad and Tobago Red Force on the final day of their fifth round game here yesterday. Scores: VOLCANOES 306 (Shane Shillingford 64, AndrÈ Fletcher 63, Mervyn Mathew 48 not out, Devon Smith 32, Liam Sebastien 30; Imran Khan 3-100, Narsingh Deonarine 2-29, Uthman Mohammed 2-51) & 198 for seven (Devon Smith 56, Shane Shillingford 34, AndrÈ Fletcher 29). RED FORCE 382 (Yannick Ottley 99 not out, Yannic Cariah 70, Narsingh Deonarine 60, Marlon Richards 60; Kevin McClean 4-66, Shane Shillingford 3-109).last_img read more

first_imgThe Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alex Tyler, has categorically denied having ever been investigated by the Liberia Anti-Corruption Commission (LACC) for any financial or administrative malpractice as announced by the LACC Chairman Cllr. James Verdier.The House Speaker said he had never received any notification from LACC to the effect that he was being investigated; but said he had advised the Commission to exercise due diligence in the conduct of its duties as provided for under the Act.The Speaker’s clarification was contained in a press release, dated October 29, 2014, under the signature of Chief of Staff Edwin J. Clarke, Jr.The release said the Speaker had only received a communication from the LACC requesting the assistance of his Office to provide documentation including contract(s) between the House of Representatives and three independent consultants, which the Office of the Speaker provided.“The Office of the Speaker believes that the decision of the Chairperson of the LACC to select the “court of public opinion” as opposed to following the powers and functions as enshrined in the Act is inappropriate and outside the spirit of good governance,” the press release states, citing the LACC Act Chapters 4.1 and 5.1 and 5.2 – The Powers of the LACC and the Functions of the LACC.The release said, “members of the House of Representatives undertook a nationwide broad consultation seeking the input of Liberians on how to proceed with the Oil Sector of our country, in order to yield the desired dividends. The tour was a real eye opener, witnessing firsthand the deplorable living conditions of the people.”The release also said, “ the deplorable living conditions of the people placed upon their shoulders immense pressure to move swiftly with a district-centered budgetary proposal for immediate financial allocation intended to transform the lives of our people.“It would seem that moving with haste with the Oil Sector, seeking internal and external expertise for proper guidance amidst constraints, of Government’s policy of services before payment that provoked the Speaker’s financial surety, has now become an issue,” the release said.Speaker Tyler argued that “if national leaders act selflessly by putting forth their personal resources to expedite national processes, that should not be construed as a new definition of corruption.“When someone chooses to blackmail a senior official by reneging on a gentlemen’s arrangement for reimbursement of an advance payment he had received for services to be rendered, it only draws into question, the integrity of this particular individual,” the release further said.“In this instance, Speaker Tyler was not soliciting a bribe or percentage, but pushing active Liberian participation, at most two Liberian Lawyers, to properly advise on the legality of the oil instruments to be in line with our national laws and the overall national interest.”The release also said: “ by choosing to project himself as a Whistle-Blower to the LACC, this individual’s motive was sinister, bordering on greed and selfishness to renege on the reimbursement of the US $12,500.00 advance payment of the US $25,000.00 legal service contract.”Meanwhile, the release said, “it was saddened to note that due to the gullible political environment, the Speaker has now become the soft target and political whipping boy by those who fear that he has conceived a political ambition that could outplay their political agenda.”The Speaker, however,  questioned the integrity of the LACC saying: “When the LACC Chairperson, heading an integrity institution, begins to question whether or not the US $12,500.00 was the personal money of Speaker Tyler, then the issue is trivialized.”The release indicated: “Speaker Alex J. Tyler is a gainfully employed senior official of government with the capacity to have made such an advance payment of US $12,500.00 from his personal/family coffers, judging from delayed bureaucracy associated with such a payment with no pecuniary interest.”He further declared: “If this matter borders on the Honorable Speaker using his personal money, then the records are available for the perusal of the LACC and all interested parties to fully vindicate Speaker Tyler and protect his hard earned reputation.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_img Brazilian left-back Alex Sandro is reportedly wanted by Chelsea boss Antonio Conte 1 Juventus have confirmed they have received a “substantial offer” for reported Chelsea target Alex Sandro, but have refused to name the club moving to sign the Brazilian left-back.Reports suggest the Turin club have received a bid over double the 26 million euro (£23m) fee they paid Porto two years ago for the Brazilian.READ MORE: Juventus put £52m price tag on Man City and Chelsea target Alex SandroIt was Blues manager Antonio Conte who signed Sandro, who has won back-to-back league and cup doubles at the Juventus Stadium, and they could be reunited this summer at Stamford Bridge.Juve are keen to hang on to Sandro – who would provide competition for Marcos Alonso and Cesar Azpilicueta at Stamford Bridge – but have insisted they will not stand in the left-back’s way if he wishes to leave Italy.Chief executive and general manager Giuseppe Marotta told Corriere dello Sport: “A substantial offer has arrived.“We have no intention of selling anyone but if a player decides to leave, as has happened in previous years, then at the end of the day he has to go.”“We don’t keep anyone against their will, but at the moment there are no such situations and I hope nobody will leave.”last_img read more