first_imgTwo children died in a stampede during ‘Chhath puja’ (offering to the sun god) late on Saturday in Bihar’s Aurangabad district.The incident happened near the Sun temple in Deo area of the district where a large number of devotees had gathered to perform the puja to the setting sun.The district officials said the incident happened when the devotees were returning after observing the religious ritual.Sun temple at Deo in Aurangabad district is famous for ‘Chhath puja’ congregation.The deceased children have been identified as Prince Kumar, 4, and a seven-year-old girl from Bihta of Patna district.District Magistrate Rahul Ranjan Mahiwal and Superintendent of Police Deepak Barnwal said the incident happened as an unexpected number of devotees had gathered at the temple and this led to a stampede.The officials met the family members of the children and said an ex gratia amount would be given to them.The four-day ‘Chhath puja’ ended on Sunday morning after devotees offered obeisance to the rising sun.last_img read more

first_imgAnil KumbleFormer Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) captain Anil Kumble has announced his withdrawal from the auction of players for the upcoming DLF Indian Premier League (IPL), 2011.The legendary Indian leg-spinner cited business commitments, including his association with cricket and wildlife in various capacities, as the reasons for the withdrawal. He said he wished to withdraw from the IPL-4 auction process, scheduled for January 8 and 9 in Bangalore.”I wish to withdraw from the players’ auction for IPL-IV scheduled for the 8th and 9th of January, 2011 in Bangalore. I have enjoyed my stint at the IPL so far and thank all concerned for the support extended,” Kumble said on Monday.The former Indian skipper was largely responsible for the RCB’s turn around in the IPL’s second and third season after a disappointing finish in the opening league.After being named captain in IPL 2009 season, Kumble led his team to the final of the Twenty-20 extravaganza. A year later, Kumble inspired his team to third position in the 2010 edition. Consequently, the team qualified for the Airtel Champions League Twenty-20 tournament twice under his leadership.Kumble took 45 wickets in the three editions of Indian Premier League to reaffirm his dominance even in the shortest version of the game.’I have to concentrate on the management part’Asked why he pulled out, Kumble said, “I have played this game for more than 20 years and there comes a time when you have to take a stand about the future. My association with Karnataka cricket, as the chairman of NCA and also my business to run… I am also involved in wildlife.”advertisement”I have decided to concentrate on the management part of it (RCB team). I leave the actual playing. I will still be involved with RCB in a leadership role. Hopefully what I was not able to achieve as a player, I would be able to achieve in the IPL in the years to come,” he added.On how senior players were not retained by various IPL franchisees Kumble said, “I am not angry, but you will be angered when you do not retain players… but as such not angry. There must be some reason, but that’s not why I pulled out of IPL. In my career I don’t need any uncertainty and I am sure what I want to achieve.”Kumble dons mentor mantle for RCBMeanwhile, RCB issued a statement on Kumble’s new role in the team. “After playing a brilliant innings in season 2 and season 3 of the IPL, Royal Challengers are now game for more challenges this season with the legendary cricketer, Anil Kumble, as their chief mentor. Anil will work closely with the Royal Challengers team owner, Dr Vijay Mallya,” the statement said.The statement quoted Mallya as saying, “Anil’s leadership, both on-field and off-field augured well for the Royal Challengers in the last two seasons of the IPL as well as the Champions League. I sincerely believe Anil’s presence in the RCB leadership team will provide a fresh dimension and perspective to our IPL strategy in the medium and long term.”last_img read more

first_imgAdvertisement Login/Register With: Twitter Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Advertisement While working a photography gig, she found out about plans to redevelop the West Don Lands, an ex-industrial site east of the Distillery Distrct. Excited by the area’s potential, she decided to make it the starting point of her condo search. With a $300,000 budget, she began hunting. A pre-construction Streetcar Developments condo in Corktown seemed perfect, but when she showed up at the sales centre, there weren’t any units left. “I was so bummed,” she says.READ MORE Alexis Jardin, 50ArtistWhere: Corktown, TorontoHow big: 497 square feetHow much: $256,000When Alexis Jardin left her rented Liberty Village penthouse behind in 2008 after a breakup, she was ready to buy a home of her own, but she did not want to bring more than a few suitcases with her. She had a short wish list: the place had to be small, it had to be easy to rent out when she was travelling and it had to have at least a little bit of outdoor space. (Jardin grew up in Muskoka and can’t abide by an indoor-only lifestyle.)last_img read more

first_imgThe Walt Disney Company is reportedly eyeing a deal to buy social media platform Twitter.According to Bloomberg, Disney sees Twitter as a key video distribution platform, and as such has hired the Bank of America to evaluate a deal.Twitter founder and CEO Jack Dorsey is the board of Disney, meaning the two companies already have top-level lines of communication open.Twitter operates primarily as a social messaging service, with an average of 313 million monthly users. It currently has a market capitalisation of US$20 billion, with its shares rising to US$23.41 on news of Disney’s interest.However, it is increasingly used as a video distribution platform and would offer Disney a new way of getting short-form video from US broadcast network ABC, sports cable channel ESPN and its Disney Channel networks out to younger adult audiences.Disney already owns multichannel network Maker Studios, paying an initial US$500 million for the business. It was due to pay another US450 million, but targets were missed, meaning the total value was less than US$700 million.The Mouse House also has a 25% stake in VOD service Hulu and shareholdings in Vice Media, both directly and another through the part-owned A+E Networks.Rumours that Dorsey and the Twitter management team are looking at selling have been swirling on Wall Street for some time.Last week, it emerged San Francisco-based cloud computing company Salesforce was exploring a deal, while YouTube parent Google has also been linked.last_img read more