first_imgThe Uttar Pradesh government on Sunday shunted out the District Magistrate and the Superintendent of Police of Sonbhadra, besides ordering action against 13 other officials after they were indicted in an inquiry into the killing of 10 Gond tribals last month over a land dispute.‘FIRs against guilty’ Addressing a press conference at his residence, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said FIRs will be registered against several police and administration officials for alleged irregularities and members of the Adarsh Krishi Sahkari Samiti, Umbha, on charges of land grabbing. The disputed land in Umbha and Saphi villages will also be transferred back and registered in the name of the gram sabha, he said, while announcing that a Special Investigation Team will look into the matter. Mr. Adityanath said departmental proceedings have been initiated against Sonbhadra District Magistrate Ankit Kumar Agrawal and Superintendent of Police Salman Taj Patil for taking “one-sided decision” against the villagers. Directives have been issued to attach Mr. Agrawal and Mr. Patil to the Personnel Department and the DGP Headquarters, respectively, he said. S. Ramalingam has been made the new District Magistrate of Sonbhadra, while Prabhakar Chaudhary is the new Superintendent of Police, officials said. “The entire matter will be probed by an SIT. The SIT will be headed by DIG SIT J. Ravindra Gaud and will have Additional SP Amrita Mishra along with three inspectors. DG SIT R.P. Singh will be monitoring the work of the SIT,” the Chief Minister said. He said another team will be set up under Additional Chief Secretary (Revenue) Renuka Kumar to look into the issue of land grabbing by “fake” societies in the last 60-70 years in Mirzapur and Sonbhadra.‘No action on report’ “Fake societies in Sonbhadra and Mirzapur have grabbed more than one lakh acre of land. In 1972, the then Chief Minister Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna had constituted a probe committee under Mangaldev Visharad. However, no action was taken as a number of Congress leaders were involved,” Mr. Adityanath said.last_img read more

first_imgThere could be more trouble for News Corp owner Rupert Murdoch as the fallout of the hacking scandal escalates. Shares of News Corp tumbled by over 7 per cent on the Australian Stock Exchange on Monday, as the phone-hacking scandal in the UK widened. Eighty-year-old Murdoch, his son James, who is the chairman of News Corp’s British arm News International, and former News International CEO Rebekah Brooks will be questioned by a British parliamentary comittee on Tuesday.  They are likely to face angry questions from politicians about suspicions that Britain’s parliament was misled over allegations of phone hacking by one of Murdoch’s newspapers. The 10-member panel of politicians on the Culture, Media and Sport committee would focus on James Murdoch’s admission that parliament was misled over the hacking allegations. The Murdochs had initially declined to appear at the British parliamentary hearing, but later changed their minds amid escalating political and public condemnation of suspected media abuses at the News of the World tabloid. News International had previously pinned the blame for phone-hacking crimes on a single rogue reporter, who was convicted in 2007.last_img read more