first_imgMargibi County Superintendent John Zubah Buway has called on every Liberian to be serious about their own security by taking it in their own hands in the face of UNMIL’s expected drawdown on June 30.Superintendent Buway said it was now time for every Liberian citizen, in their various communities across the country, to be their own security so as to enable a continuous state of peace after the full drawdown of UNMIL troops from Liberia. According to the Liberia News Agency, Superintendent Buway made the statement in Kakata over the weekend at a program for the official establishment and training of the County Security Council (CSC) of Margibi County, a two day County Security Council establishment and training program intended to train locals on how to handle security matters in the absence of state security in their area.He said Liberia was at a very crucial point in its peace process and that the security of the state cannot be left alone with national government to shoulder, but should be a collective effort that involves every Liberian, irrespective of their status in society.Also speaking, the Project Coordinator of the National Security Council (NSC), Roland Duo, said the establishment of a County Security Council (CSC) is very necessary for the security of the state and its people.Mr. Duo said the Liberian government is now taking on the full responsibility of securing the country, adding that it is taking every possible measure that will ensure the proper and full security of every Liberian and foreign resident.He said in the wake of the UNMIL drawdown, it is expedient for Liberians to live a peaceful life void of violence to avoid a relapse into the ugly past.Mr. Duo stated that although the government of Liberia did not have a security presence all over the country during the prewar years, it was still very capable of responding to any security threat to the lives of its citizens.He cautioned every Liberian to be serious about the security of their community and avoid any unwholesome acts that could result to a serious security threat to the state.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_img Share APThis undated artist rendering provided by the Galveston Police Department shows a depiction of a boy that police are asking for the public’s help to identify. The young boy’s body was found on a beach in Southeast Texas. Galveston police say the boy, aged 3 to 5 years, was found Friday, Oct. 20, 2017. Police are sifting through hundreds of tips and leads to discover the name of the little boy whose body was found on a deserted beach in Southeast Texas last week. (The Galveston Police Department via AP)The mother of a 4-year-old boy whose naked body was found on a South Texas beach last year admitted to authorities that she beat him and denied him medical care after he suffered a head injury from running into a wall, then drove to Galveston in the middle of the night and dumped the body in the water, according to court documents.Galveston police identified the child as Jayden Alexander Lopez. Authorities had named him “Little Jacob” after no one came forward to report him missing.Galveston police chief Vernon Hale announced Wednesday that the child’s mother, Rebecca Rivera, and her girlfriend Dania Amezquita-Gomez, had been arrested and charged with fabricating or tampering with physical evidence.An affidavit says Rivera, in an interview on Tuesday, told authorities she woke up in the middle of the night after her son had died, carried his body to her vehicle and drove to Galveston with her other young child and Amezquita-Gomez.According to an affidavit, she said she put her dead son into the water because he went to the beach previously and he liked the water.Last month, in an interview with authorities, Amezquita-Gomez acknowledged being in the vehicle but did not give any other details about where they went or about the dead child being in the vehicle, according to the affidavit. She reported being too drunk to remember the details.APThis undated photo provided by the Galveston Police Department shows Rebecca Rivera. Galveston police on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, announced that the unidentified 4-year-old boy whose body was found eight months ago washed ashore in South Texas had now been identified as Jayden Alexander Lopez, and his mother, Rivera, and her girlfriend have been arrested and are charged with fabricating or tampering with physical evidence. Investigators say they’re trying to determine whether the mother was connected to her son’s death. (The Galveston Police Department via AP)Rivera admitted that she abused the boy, saying “she was stressed out and took this out on Jayden by striking him with ‘whatever I could find,’” according to the court documents.Rivera told authorities that about two weeks before the boy’s death, he had bumped into a wall, causing a head injury. Rivera told police she used alcohol to clean the injury but she and her girlfriend began to argue, causing the alcohol to spill onto the child’s face.According to the court documents, she said her child’s face started to swell, and over the next two weeks his health “deteriorated.” He reportedly complained of stomach aches and became visibly more lethargic, the mother told police.Rivera also told police her girlfriend blamed the child for problems in the couple’s relationship, the affidavit says.Jail records did not list attorneys for either woman.Bryan Gaines, a supervisory senior resident agent with the FBI, called the crime “appalling” at a press conference Wednesday announcing the arrests.“No one reported Jayden as missing. No one was looking for Jayden. Jayden had no advocate other than us,” he said. “Someone took a beautiful, innocent child and discarded him in the ocean as if he was a piece of trash.”Investigators made the unusual move of releasing a photo of the face of the dead boy earlier this year, hoping it would generate new leads about his identity. Authorities had previously released a sketch of the child with a phone number to call with tips. Police on Wednesday said tips led to a possible name for the boy and a DNA comparison led to the positive identification.Lois Gibson, the forensic artist who created the sketch, said she was at home when she heard news of a break in the case.“I cried, I cried with relief,” said Gibson, who works as forensic artist at the Houston Police Department.last_img read more