first_imgOn Monday, January 20, China Union Mining Company announced its shipment of 15,000 tons of iron ore from Bong Mines as part of its initial iron ore shipment from Liberia to China.China Union signed a US$2.8billion Mineral Development Agreement (MDA) with the Government of Liberia in 2010 to extract iron-ore from the Bong Ranges in Fuamah District, Lower Bong County, for a period of 25 years.According to contract details, most of the company’s operations are expected to take place in phases, including its social infrastructure package for the concession area.At the moment, the company has 300 employees, not including Liberian contractors.“China Union will start exporting 15,000 tons of iron-ore from Liberia to China. This is part of our plan to increase production and create more jobs for Liberians” disclosed Xing Ming Ding, China Union Deputy General Manager.He made the disclosure in Bong Mines on Monday at the official turning over ceremony of 827 housing units previously occupied by squatters and former workers of the Bong Mining Company.Prior to Monday’s event, about 827 family heads received US$500 each from the Government of Liberia as token; allowing the company to take over the housing units where most of its employees are expected to live throughout the concession period. Mr. Xing also assured the Government of China Union’s commitment to providing more job opportunities for Liberians.Mr. Xing disclosed that major works are ongoing on the Kakata-Bong Mines-Handi road, and disclosed further that the Community Central High School and the town’s only hospital, too, are undergoing similar facelift.“We are happy to be fulfilling a significant part of the MDA with China Union. Turning over of these facilities is a major part of the contract reached between China and the Government of Liberia,” said Sam Russ, Deputy Minister for Operations, Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy.He called for cooperation from both the citizens and the Government of Liberia as his group intensifies its mining operations.Also responding at the takeover event, Mr. Hampton Giddings, Commissioner of Fuamah District, lauded the company for bringing transformation to the district.He praised China Union for helping restore social infrastructures in the area, including paving of the Kakata-Bong Mines road, the renovation of the Bong Central High, and provision of drugs and medical equipment for the hospital, among other things.“We are very happy to see what China Union is doing for us is Fuamah District,” said Commissioner Giddings.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgMargibi County Superintendent John Zubah Buway has called on every Liberian to be serious about their own security by taking it in their own hands in the face of UNMIL’s expected drawdown on June 30.Superintendent Buway said it was now time for every Liberian citizen, in their various communities across the country, to be their own security so as to enable a continuous state of peace after the full drawdown of UNMIL troops from Liberia. According to the Liberia News Agency, Superintendent Buway made the statement in Kakata over the weekend at a program for the official establishment and training of the County Security Council (CSC) of Margibi County, a two day County Security Council establishment and training program intended to train locals on how to handle security matters in the absence of state security in their area.He said Liberia was at a very crucial point in its peace process and that the security of the state cannot be left alone with national government to shoulder, but should be a collective effort that involves every Liberian, irrespective of their status in society.Also speaking, the Project Coordinator of the National Security Council (NSC), Roland Duo, said the establishment of a County Security Council (CSC) is very necessary for the security of the state and its people.Mr. Duo said the Liberian government is now taking on the full responsibility of securing the country, adding that it is taking every possible measure that will ensure the proper and full security of every Liberian and foreign resident.He said in the wake of the UNMIL drawdown, it is expedient for Liberians to live a peaceful life void of violence to avoid a relapse into the ugly past.Mr. Duo stated that although the government of Liberia did not have a security presence all over the country during the prewar years, it was still very capable of responding to any security threat to the lives of its citizens.He cautioned every Liberian to be serious about the security of their community and avoid any unwholesome acts that could result to a serious security threat to the state.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgFIFTEEN new jobs – and how to apply for them – have been announced by the Finn Valley Athletics Club today ahead of the opening of a new leisure centre.Currently there are 15 people employed at Finn Valley AC but this is due to increase at the site as a new Leisure Centre is due to open shortly with the prospect of an additional 15 both full time and part time being advertised bringing total employment at the exciting facility to 30 which in the current climate is a major boost in the East Donegal community.Said Patsy McGonagle: “The current facility on a 20 acre site has a track, indoor hall, gym, rugby pitch, soccer pitch which is fully floodlit, four astro pitches, meeting rooms ,extensive office accommodation ,dance studio and social area. “The new partnership developed with Donegal Co Co adds a 25m swim pool ,training/childrens pool,fitness studio,cryotheraphy area with the gym moving across to a new enhanced area in the new build and extensive changing areas both outdoor and indoor.”Applications are currently being received at Finn Valley ,Millbrae ,Stranorlar ,Co Donegal for duty managers and centre attendants .Details can be accessed via www.finnvalleyac.com ,www.donegalcoco.ie , faceboook /finn valley centre 15 NEW JOBS FOR TWIN TOWNS AS NEW LEISURE CENTRE SET TO OPEN was last modified: April 30th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:15 NEW JOBS FOR TWIN TOWNS AS NEW LEISURE CENTRE SET TO OPENlast_img read more

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventAssembly Transportation Committee Chairwoman Jenny Oropeza, D-Carson, said she wants to see how the 405 project proceeds before authorizing it on a wider basis, or at least would like to see the issue resolved through discussions between the governor and legislative leaders. “Rather than go wholesale on a new way to do it statewide, this committee has felt it was prudent to do pilots and then evaluate those pilots,” Oropeza said. The bill looked likely to be shot down in committee, so Oropeza offered author Assemblyman Roger Niello, R-Sacramento, the chance to request postponing the vote. Niello, saying he’d “rather be unconscious than dead,” agreed to the delay. harrison.sheppard@dailynews.com (916) 446-6723 SACRAMENTO – Legislators debated Monday allowing the controversial design-build process to be used on all state highway projects, but ultimately held off on a key committee vote rather than put it to a likely defeat. The method has already been authorized for a northbound car-pool lane on the San Diego Freeway, but many Democrats and engineers have resisted calls by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Republican lawmakers to use it on a wider basis. Traditionally, projects are designed by state Department of Transportation engineers, then turned over to a private firm for construction. Under design-build, the same private contractor oversees a project from blueprint to completion. Supporters believe that the method results in faster, less-expensive projects, but opponents – particularly Caltrans engineers – say it has caused cost overruns and other problems. last_img read more

first_imgWindhoist Limited based in Irvine UK are leading international installers of megawatt class wind turbines. Due to expansion we have a requirement for trainee turbine installation technicians.Technicians shall work as part of multidisciplinary teams over a multitude of locations.Requirements: -agricultural/trade or engineering background-prepared to work away from base for extended periods-willing to work at height in exposed locations in variable weather conditions-flexible and willing to change at short notice-willing to make a medium to long term commitment-performance, safety and quality as a priority.If the above criteria appeals to you please send your CV and covering letter into recruitment@windhoist.co.ukInterviews to be held at the end of September in Letterkenny. Potential candidates will be contacted directly with details of date and venue.JOB VACANCIES: WIND TURBINE COMPANY SEEKS TRAINEE INSTALLATION TECHNICIANS was last modified: August 28th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Job VacanciesWindhoist UKlast_img read more

first_imgGardai revealed how they saw a man doing a hand-stand through the sun-roof of a car being driven by his identical twin brother.Gardai say they saw Shane Heaney perform a handstand inside a moving car. (NWNewspix).Peter and Shane Heaney appeared before Letterkenny District Court charged with road traffic offenses yesterday. The brothers, aged 21, were spotted by Gardai carrying out the “outrageous manoeuvre” during the Donegal International Rally on June 22nd last year.Garda Paul Kelly told the court that he was driving between Ramelton and Milford at 5.45pm at a place known as Black’s Glen.He witnessed a black Ford Sierra coming towards him in the opposite direction.Garda Kelly revealed “I saw a male suspended out of the sunroof. His head was in the car and the rest of his body was out of it. He was doing a handstand while in the vehicle.”The car, which was in a flow of traffic, was stopped and both men were arrested and taken to Milford Garda station after Garda Kelly flashed at the car.Driver Peter Heaney, of Rocky Rover Drive, Carrownagonnagh, Milford, was charged with dangerous driving.His brother Shane, of the same address, was later interviewed and charged with getting into a moving mechanically propelled vehicle.Solicitor Frank Dorrian said he was looking for the case against Shane Heaney be dismissed.He argued that there was no proof that his client got into the car while it was moving.Judge Paul Kelly considered the claim and agreed the proof was not there.The case against Peter Heaney, who was driving the car, was adjourned until next Monday.MAN CAUGHT DOING HAND-STAND IN CAR BEING DRIVEN BY TWIN BROTHER was last modified: February 25th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cardonegal international rallyGadaihandstandMilfordPeter HeaneyShane Heaneylast_img read more

first_imgDONEGAL staged a second half comeback in the Ulster SHC clash with Down at O’Donnell Park but it wasn’t enough against the favourites.The nine point margin of victory at O’Donnell Park in Letterkenny probably flattered the Down men, and Donegal can take heart from seeing themselves progress.The Christy Ring semi-finalists staved off a determined comeback from Donegal before booking their place in the next round. The visitors powered to a commanding 1-12 to 0-06 interval lead with Aidan Clarke claiming the only goal of the opening half.Clarke’s 10th-minute strike from 20 metres out gave Down a 1-05 to 0-02 advantage. Ciaran Matheson and Stephen Boyle registered Donegal’s early points.Lee Henderson also helped to keep Donegal in touch in first half, but Gareth Johnston, Aaron O’Prey, Kevin McGarry and Brendan Ennis chipped in with points for Down.Clarke netted his side’s second goal immediately after the restart, but Donegal scored 1-05 without reply in a productive 15-minute spell as they mounted a comeback. Matheson, Henderson and Boyle all hit points with Boyle also netting a goal to leave the scoreline at 2-12 to 1-11 with 12 minutes remaining.Nonetheless, this more experienced Down team wrestled back control late on with Johnston (1-06) firing home the Mourne men’s third goal. Scott Nicholson was also among the visitors’ scorers in the closing minutes.GAA: ULSTER SENIOR HURLING: DONEGAL 1-13, DOWN 3-16 was last modified: May 16th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgFROM NEIL DOHERTY AT TANNADICE: NEIL Lennon declared himself “very happy” today after Celtic thumped Dundee United 4-0 here to book their place in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup.The match had been evenly balanced until the 28th minute when United’s Robbie Neilson was sent off after barging Celt’s Georgios Samaras in the face with his elbow.Defender Neilson had already been booked for a dirty challenge on the big Greek, but his elbow offence produced a straight red card. After that Celtic produced a stunning second half agains the ten men of United.Joe Ledley fired home the 53rd-minute opener, Samaras headed in the second, while Anthony Stokes fired in the third after a great Ledley pass.Scott Brown hit home a late penalty as the Hoops rounded off what could have been a more tricky fixture.It was good to see Paddy McCourt back in the Celtic side. He came on with around ten minutes to go – always a crowd pleaser. Neil Lennon admitted afterwards that it had been a tough week for him after the death of his close friend Paul McBride, the Hoops lawyer.And it was other events off the pitch was causing the usual media frenzy – Rangers and their financial woes.Lennon revealed that he had cancelled his pre-match press conference as he accused elements of the media (and he is right in what he says) of trying to get Celtic to comment on their Ibrox rivals.“We decided not to hold a press conference this week because of all the nonsense going on elsewhere,” Lennon said in an interview with the BBC.“People accusing our club of trying to put people out of work at Rangers. It’s in the hands of our legal team and it’s probably best not to talk about it. “(We want to) get our heads down and we want to talk about football. A lot of media outlets will be disappointed because we won’t be speaking to them.“We’ll do our speaking through the club. I’m angry but I’ll deal with it in my own way.”Meanwhile Mr McBride, 47, an acclaimed courtroom lawyer, was found dead in his hotel room in Lahore last Sunday. A post mortem found there were no suspicious circumstances. He will be laid to rest at St Conval’s in Barrhead tomorrow.* Celtic will play either St Mirren or Hearts in the semi-final at Hampden on April 14th or 15th. © 2012 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailyTHE HOOPS REPORT: CELTIC EASE PAST DUNDEE UNITED IN THE CUP was last modified: March 11th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:THE HOOPS REPORT: CELTIC EASE PAST DUNDEE UNITED IN THE CUPlast_img read more

first_imgTWO elderly sisters have been beaten and locked inside their home during a sickening aggravated burglary in Co Donegal.The women – who are aged 89 and 92 – were attacked at their home in the townland of Feddyglass, Raphoe, at 5pm yesterday.One of them had to be taken to hospital after suffering a suspected broken hip and was later treated for shock. Inspector Goretti Sheridan appealed for information on the incident, saying a UK-registered Ford Focus was seen acting suspiciously in the area at the time.She appealed for anyone with information to call detectives immediately on 074 91 67100.“This was a particularly nasty aggravated burglary and we would ask anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible,” she said.Telephone lines were cut and the women locked inside the house when the thieves left. They had been thrown to the floor and threatened during the incident. They made off with personal possessions and cash. OUTRAGE AS ELDERLY SISTERS BEATEN AT THEIR HOME DURING AGGRAVATED BURGLARY was last modified: July 2nd, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:burgarlyLiffordRaphoelast_img read more