first_imgDave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations PBA: Rain or Shine keeps top spot, trips Magnolia in OT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Ateneo’s Jhoana Maraguinot was the Lady Realtors’ latest recruit, linking up with Far Eastern University’s Toni Rose Basas, Jeanette Villareal, and Carly Hernandez, and University of the East’s Roselle Baliton.The Lady Realtors announced the signings on their Facebook page and also on a video presentation they shared on their social media accounts.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownMaraguinot, Basas, Villareal, Hernandez, and Baliton will boost Sta. Lucia, which finished fifth in the 2018 Grand Prix, the group’s highest finish in the PSL indoor tournaments. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial MOST READcenter_img Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Sta. Lucia ended a frenetic week of signings on Saturday that saw five collegiate players from the UAAP join the team ahead of the Philippine Superliga Invitational Conference.ADVERTISEMENT Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

first_imgCarpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins MOST READ New faces for Azkals Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Peza offers relief to ecozone firmscenter_img Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs San Beda celebrates after scoring against Perpetual. INQUIRER PHOTO/ Sherwin VardeleonSan Beda bucked a third-set collapse to hack out a 25-19, 25-15, 9-25, 25-21 victory over Perpetual Help in the Premier Volleyball League Collegiate Conference on Wednesday night at FilOil Flying V Center to keep its semifinal hopes alive.It was just the second win of the Lady Red Lions but they can still take a long route to the semifinals.ADVERTISEMENT DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next San Beda has to beat the University of the Philippines and then hope St. Benilde loses its two remaining matches against Perpetual and San Sebastian.Perpetual absorbed its fifth defeat in six outings and is out of contention along with winless San Sebastian.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Adamson, University of Santo Tomas and Far Eastern University have already snapped up the first three semifinal berths. —MARC ANTHONY REYES View commentslast_img read more

first_imgDear Editor,On Tuesday, June 18, 2019, the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) will deliver landmark rulings in the appeals emanating from the legal challenges filed against the No-Confidence Motion passed by Guyana’s National Assembly on December 21, 2018, and a challenge filed against the appointment of Justice James Patterson as the Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM).These litigations have placed within the province of Guyana’s Judiciary, the very foundation of Guyana’s constitutional and electoral democracy. Sitting at the summit of the nation’s judicial hierarchical structure, the CCJ has the final say. This, it will do on June 18 from the seat of the Court in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. The lawyers involved are invited to receive the decisions via Skype at the Guyana Court of Appeal, Kingston, Georgetown. The CCJ has informed via its website, that the proceedings will be streamed live so that the world can view.Through these appeals, the CCJ is afforded the unprecedented opportunity to pronounce, inter alia, upon the strength of the supremacy of Guyana’s Constitution and the efficacy of numerous mechanisms and devices that inhere in the Constitution, as checks and balances against Executive power conceived and designed by the framers of the Constitution to exact greater accountable, responsible and democratic Government.The adversarial system of litigation which Guyana’s legal process embraces facilitated a dichotomised presentation of legal arguments, with one side in the litigation, challenging the legality and viscosity of these safeguards and the other side, asserting their effect, vigour and impregnability. Sitting at the apex, as an adjudicator, the CCJ will ultimately determine the extent and fortification of those facets of Guyana’s constitutional and democratic polity.For example, after these rulings, we will know the true nature of the constitutional supremacy doctrine; we will know whether a No-Confidence Motion does, or does not exist in Guyana’s National Assembly; if it does, the impact and consequence of its successful passage and how and when is it successfully passed; whether defects in the qualifications of a member of the Assembly can affect its potency; whether GECOM is the master of, or subordinate to, the Constitution; and whether the President can capriciously reject nominees submitted to him by the Leader of the Opposition for the appointment of a Chairman of GECOM and instead, unilaterally appoint one of his own choosing. In short, the CCJ will ultimately determine, as my erudite colleague, Kamal Ramkarran puts it, whether the Constitution of Guyana is merely a piece of paper.I know first-hand, that the CCJ cannot say that there was a paucity of legal submissions, for legal submissions preponderated ad nauseam, ranging from the reasoned to the ridiculous and up until merely a few days before notices were received of the date of the rulings.The importance of these rulings reverberates beyond territorial Guyana. Not surprisingly, the litigations have captured the attention of the entire Caribbean, North America, Europe and indeed, wherever Guyanese are domiciled.In the Caribbean, it has been the subject of commentary of the media, politicians, academics and laymen alike. Its importance to democratic norms and constitutional rule in the region has been repeatedly underscored in opinion pieces published by media outlets throughout the Caribbean. Further, I am aware, that it is already the subject of articles and analyses currently being undertaken in academic circles not only in the Caribbean but at universities in the United States of America and the United Kingdom.I have highlighted on a number of previous occasions that the mechanism of a “No-Confidence Motion” exists as a common feature in Westminster-styled Constitutions throughout the English Commonwealth. Once successfully passed, its consequences are immutable. The Government against which it is passed is defeated and must resign. Regaining the confidence of the electorate at general elections to be held contemporaneously becomes mandatory. This position obtained long before the advent of the concept of a “written Constitution” in the British Empire. It was birthed in the mid-17th century in England, where no written Constitution exists until now. It was bequeathed by Her Majesty’s Government to her former colonies in their Independence Constitutions and has become an innate part of their constitutional democracies.Since Independence, the Union of India has witnessed over 50 No-Confidence Motions in its provincial Houses of Assembly and the Lok Sabha. The Parliament of the Dominion of Canada passed three over the last two decades. In the Caribbean, I recall one being passed in Barbados against Prime Minister Erskine Sandiford and quite recently, one was moved in St Kitts and Nevis but was defeated. In over 250 years of recorded history, in none of the instances where the motion was passed, has the impugned Government reacted in the manner in which the coalition Government of Guyana did. This has certainly contributed significantly in titillating interests, expectations and anxieties alike, in relation to the impending rulings.Additionally, commentators have expressed the view that these cases are a test for the court itself and the rulings can have an impact on its future, if not its very survival.Modern constitutional purists and protagonists view the Constitution, not as an inanimate instrument but as an organic, living organism. Those who are charged with interpreting it are admonished against an interpretation that is pedantic, sterile and legalistic and are encouraged to employ one that is liberal, purposive, expansive rather than restrictive and one that breathes life into the language of the Constitution, in order to decipher the true intent of its framers. The CCJ itself has embraced this enlightened approach. In the case of Cedric Richardson vs the Attorney General of Guyana, it discarded volumes of technical legal doctrines and dogmas and ruled that the clear intent of Guyana’s Parliament was to prohibit an Executive President who completed two successive terms in Office, from being elected a third time.Expectations are high that the court will adopt a similar jurisprudential interpretative lens in construing the provisions of the Constitution that are the focus of the appeals. The true test lies in how far the court will be prepared to go in its consequential orders, in giving effect to the intent of the framers of the Constitution, once it finds that the Constitution has been violated. In this regard, early elections is the prize. The time by which they were to be held has long gone. Within the timeframe, one must insert the appointment of a Chairman of GECOM, for it is impractical for elections to be held without a Chairman. Hopefully, the consequential orders will embrace these various tenets.All we can now do is wait for Tuesday.Sincerely,Mohabir AnilNandlall,MPAttorney at Lawlast_img read more

first_imgThe Green Coast Agriculture Project (G-CAP), a local non-governmental organization (NGO), working in Liberia’s agricultural sector, has stressed the need for the establishment of a center that will provide agriculture business services to local farmers in Bong County.G-CAP’s program coordinator Francis Bendoe told the Daily Observer recently at his Gbarnga office that  a survey conducted in the county shows that local farmers are in need of business services that will help improve their productivity.“The sole purpose of the Enterprise Services Center is to provide agricultural business development services (ABDS) to farmers and rural entrepreneurs to start-up or expand their commercial businesses,” Bendoe said.He stated that services will include training to promote entrepreneurship and  to improve business planning and management skills; technical advice on production and postharvest handling; collecting and sharing market information and marketing ideas; assisting clients in the preparation of  business plans and loan applications to access credit and providing access to agro-equipment and transport services among others.According to him the establishment of the ESC will help to improve food security and reduce poverty in the lives of Liberian farmers.Mr. Bendoe mentioned that once a center is established in the county, farmers can access those needed enterprise services, adding that the significant of the center has prompted the local authorities of Bong County to donate a piece of land to his organization to construct the center.Commenting on the extension services rendered to farmers, he mentioned that they have reached ninety-five communities in five districts in Bong County with extension services to strengthen the skills of subsistence farmers.Meanwhile, the G-CAP program coordinator said that the lack of logistic is a serious constraint facing his organization.“We want to appeal to the government and its partners to build our capacity with logistics to enable us reach more farmers,” he pleaded.Bong County is one of Liberia’s productive agricultural regions situated along regional development corridors of Liberia, crucial in promoting intra and inter-county commerce. Farming activities in this growth corridor are expected to improve food availability and access for Liberians.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgSome of the students from the Martial Arts Department.-Chinese Ambassador FuThe Embassy of the People’s Republic of China near Monrovia in collaboration with the Confucius Institute at the University of Liberia (UL) on Saturday, November 10, hosted the traditional Chinese Arts performance, with some of the main performers coming from the Hunan University of Chinese Medicine in China.The event, which was hosted at the Monrovia City Hall, was intended to strengthen China-Liberia relationship, highlighting culture exchanges between the two countries. Some of the performances comprised a series of China’s traditional sport-oriented health maintenance practices, including Martial Arts, Tai Chi, Qigong (a popular Chinese song) about unity, and some Chinese folk dances.It brought together visiting students from the Hunan University of Chinese Medicine, foreign guests, government officials and students from the Confucius Institute. The Art tour is an international program launched by the headquarters of China’s Confucius Institute and undertaken by the artistic troupes of Chinese Universities.Chinese Ambassador Fu Jijun, who spoke at the occasion, underscored the importance of the event. He said it helps foreign students to appreciate the colorful Chinese culture, which enhances mutual understanding between people, promoting friendship and people to people bond between China and foreign countries.According to the Amb. Fu, both China and Africa, including Liberia, are proud of his country’s splendid cultural performance.“With more people to people exchanges in culture, arts, education, sports and media, we can further strengthen the bond between the people of China and Africa, and Liberia is of no exception,” he said.According to Amb. Fu, it was based on such cultural exchanges that President George Weah launched the “People to People exchange Initiative”  at the FOCAC Beijing Summit held last September.During the next three years, according to the initiative, 50 joint Africa and China cultural sports and tourism events will be organized in Beijing.“China welcomes Africa’s participation in the Silk Road International League of Theaters, the Silk Road International Museum Alliance and the Network of Silk Road Arts Festivals,” the Envoy said.He said a China-Africa media cooperation network will be established to allow more African culture centers to open in China and more Chinese culture centers will do likewise in Africa.Amb. Fu used the occasion to welcome qualified African education institutions to host the Confucius Institutes just like it is at the University of Liberia.“I am confident that with the implementation of the initiative, there will be more bilateral exchange visits of cultural arts, education, sports, and media groups between China and Liberia. Therefore, I have the honor to welcome Liberian friends to actively join the initiative,” he declared.Saturday’s event marks the 10th anniversary of the establishment of the Confucius Institute at the University of Liberia. In the past decades, the Confucius Institute has played a significant role in carrying on the Chinese language teaching and spreading the Chinese culture in Liberia.Geegbae A. Geegbae, vice president for Institutional Planning and Development at the University of Liberia, lauded the Chinese Government for giving Liberian students the opportunity to learn the Chinese language.Geegbae said as China remains one of Liberia’s greatest development partners, it is important to take advantage of the Confucius Institute, in order to become marketable upon graduation, because there are some  Chinese companies operating in the country and need Liberians who speak the Chinese language fluently.“So, if our children can learn the Chinese language, I strongly believe that they will be able to regularly interact with their Chinese counterparts,” he said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_img Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Brown’s half-time antics, eight-goal thrillers… relive these Boxing Day classics Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade 1 Tottenham Hotspur’s Premier League fixtures for the 2018/19 season have been revealed and they face Newcastle United away on the opening day.It is set to be Spurs’ first campaign at their brand new stadium in N17, although we don’t know which match will be their first at the arena at this point in time. ALTERED Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes gameday Tottenham issue immediate ban to supporter who threw cup at Kepa REVEALED Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino will lead the club in their new stadium after signing a new contract. gameday cracker Tottenham v Brighton LIVE: talkSPORT commentary and team news for Boxing Day opener REVEALED Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? smart causal How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won January 1: Cardiff (a)January 12: Man Utd (h)January 19: Fulham (a)January 30: Watford (h)February 2: Newcastle (h)February 9: Leicester (h)February 23: Burnley (a)February 27: Chelsea (a)March 2: Arsenal (h)March 9: Southampton (a)March 16: Crystal Palace (h)March 30: Liverpool (a)April 6: Brighton (h)April 13: Huddersfield (h)April 20: Man City (a)April 27: West Ham (h)May 4: Bournemouth (a)May 12: Everton (h) Manager Mauricio Pochettino has signed a new contract with the club, along with superstar striker Harry Kane, so supporters will be optimistic going into a new era for the north London side.Meanwhile, the Lilywhites will also be playing in the Champion League having finished third in the league last term.Tottenham Hotspur’s full 2018/19 fixture schedule is listed below…August 11: Newcastle (a)August 18: Fulham (h)August 25: Man Utd (a)September 1: Watford (a)September 15: Liverpool (h)September 22: Brighton (a)September 29: Huddersfield (a)October 6: Cardiff (h)October 20: West Ham (a)October 27: Man City (h)November 3: Wolves (a)November 10: Crystal Palace (a)November 24: Chelsea (h)December 1: Arsenal (a)December 5: Southampton (h)December 8: Leicester (a)December 15: Burnley (h)December 22: Everton (a)December 26: Bournemouth (h)December 29: Wolves (h) no dice punished possible standings crackers last_img read more

first_img Manchester City v Newcastle United is live on talkSPORT on Saturday, but who will win? Chelsea win – 76 per cent chance of happeningBournemouth win – eight per cent chance of happeningDraw – 16 per cent chance of happeningCrystal Palace v SouthamptonCrystal Palace win – 47 per cent chance of happeningSouthampton win – 25 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningEverton v Huddersfield gameday cracker SORRY Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? silverware Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update whoops Leicester City v LiverpoolLeicester City win – 18 per cent chance of happeningLiverpool win – 59 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 23 per cent chance of happeningBrighton and Hove Albion v FulhamBrighton win – 43 per cent chance of happeningFulham win – 29 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningChelsea v Bournemouth 4 Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? predicted 4 4 4 Everyone has their own different ways of attempting to forecast the result and statistics are more often being used.One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what outcomes do they think will happen? Find out below. Will Manchester United respond to their defeat to Tottenham with a win against Burnley at Turf Moor. smart causal Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City How Everton could look in January under Ancelotti with new signings Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Last season Everton beat Huddersfield Town 2-0 at Goodison Park. tense Callum Wilson scores for Bournemouth against Chelsea last season Most Popular Premier League Stories Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT latest REVEALED Everton win – 54 per cent chance of happeningHuddersfield win – 19 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningWest Ham v Wolverhampton WanderersWest Ham win – 45 per cent chance of happeningWolverhampton Wanderers win – 27 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happeningManchester City v Newcastle United – Live on talkSPORTManchester City win – 87 per cent chance of happeningNewcastle United win – three per cent chance of happeningDraw – 11 per cent chance of happeningCardiff City v ArsenalCardiff City win – 21 per cent chance of happeningArsenal win – 56 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 23 per cent chance of happeningBurnley v Manchester United revealed The Premier League is heating up and so is talkSPORT’s world famous Predictor game.Across the globe, Premier League fans each weekend try and guess the scores in each game as they attempt to win some great prizes on offer. Burnley win – 25 per cent chance of happeningManchester United win – 48 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happeningWatford v Tottenham HotspurWatford win – 22 per cent chance of happeningTottenham win – 54 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 24 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more

first_imgForget El Clásico, forget the Madrid derby: everyone in Spain knows the craziest rivalry in the country is found in the south. With Real Betis and Sevilla more evenly matched than ever thanks to two brilliant managers and a summer of significant signings, the latest edition of the Seville derby promises to be the biggest yet.The biggest emotion associated with the Seville derby as well as the city itself is passion – and for once in football, that isn’t a lazy cliché. It’s an emotion that the Andalusian capital naturally evokes, deeply rooted in the Seville blood, manifesting itself not only in football but also the famous Holy Week celebrations before Easter, visited by thousands of international tourists each year. Seville does passion and it does it big, with plenty of over the top expressions of emotion to make sure you know all about it.There are countless examples of how that passion manifests itself when Betis and Sevilla meet. Open training sessions before the game are attended by thousands, the local sporting paper, Estadio Deportivo, will dedicate a number of front pages to the subject, and players will be reminded at every turn by local residents that this is a holy week of its own kind.Elaborate banners complete with clever taunts of the opposition team are a guarantee. In theirs, Sevilla fans often like to point out their run of domestic and European success in the last 15 years (a record five Europa leagues, three of which were won back-to-back, as well as a UEFA Super Cup, a couple of Copa del Rey wins and a domestic Supercup since 2005). Betis – who are without a major trophy in 13 years – have to be more creative with theirs. 2 Sunday’s derby is not likely to be one of caution therefore. With plenty of technically talented players in both teams and two managers who look to out-score and out-run their opponents, we have a pretty good idea of what kind of pattern of play to expect. The Sevilla derby is always important and even this early in the season there is plenty at stake: Betis are without a win this season, so have a big opportunity to change their fortunes with a statement of intent by continuing their undefeated run against their biggest rivals this calendar year.Sevilla meanwhile would love nothing more than to lengthen the difficult run Beticos are experiencing by striking a humiliating blow to their confidence, at the same time re-establishing Nervión as the part of the city where the best and most effective football is played. Hopefully the fans can hold it together. Hopefully the city survives.Lee Roden is writing for talkSPORT on all things La Liga this season. Follow him on Twitter here. Coach Quique Setién promotes a style of play that is the closest to that of Pep Guardiola left in La Liga these days, at its best based on patient build-up to escape pressure followed by a sharp change of pace in the final third to slip through rival defensive blocks. Prior to his arrival in May 2017, Betis had cycled through three managers in 12 months, but Setién has quickly connected with supporters who have embraced his dedication to an attacking game as part of their own collective identity.Across the city, Sevilla haven’t quite been unearthing bargains and talent at the rate of the Monchi era, but several of their moves this summer look encouraging. Goalkeeper Tomas Vaclik has been excellent since arriving from Basel, keeping four clean sheets in five Europa League preliminary round games and conceding only one goal in his first two La Liga appearances. Striker André Silva scored a hat-trick in his first La Liga match for the Spaniards, ensuring he already has more league goals for Sevilla in one game than he managed over the entirety of last season for AC Milan. Elsewhere, Barça-schooled centre-back Sergi Gómez offers a technically competent option in defence, while bringing old Europa League hero Aleix Vidal back from the Camp Nou after three years in Catalonia gives supporters plenty of attacking quality to get excited about.New manager Pablo Machín, meanwhile, is promoting the same high-tempo, forward-focused football that made his Girona side one of the breakthrough teams in La Liga last year. Continuing with his favoured system of two attack-minded wing-backs and two inside forwards behind a central striker, his ideas appear to be clicking with the new squad already, resulting in only one loss in his first eight official games at the club (and that defeat being a narrow one to Barcelona in the Spanish Supercup), not to mention consistently entertaining games for the neutral. 2 On Sunday, at the Estadio Benito Villamarín in the south of the city  – some four kilometres away from Sevilla’s Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, a significantly smaller ground, Betis fans will remind you – hostilities will resume after a summer of significant movement for both clubs.During the Monchi era, Sevilla’s offices in Nervión boasted a reputation as one of Europe’s smartest in the transfer window. These days, since the arrival of sporting director Lorenzo Serra Ferrer in Heliópolis, that honour now arguably lies with Betis.In the last 12 months he has pulled off a string of admirable signings. In January, he skilfully managed to lure Marc Bartra from Borussia Dortmund, a development that was key in making sure Betis fixed their defence and finished above Sevilla in sixth place last season. This summer, he landed William Carvalho – a player long coveted by Premier League clubs – for a bargain €20m. For a sweet sum of zero in transfer fees he also captured former Real Madrid man Sergio Canales, Japan World Cup talent Takashi Inui, and disgruntled, but very much capable, Espanyol keeper Pau López. Betis signed Carvalho from Sporting Clube de Portugal in the summer Betis fans have shown solidarity with their city rivals There are also examples of that passion going too far. The ugly side most infamously manifested itself when then Sevilla manager Juande Ramos was struck and knocked out by a bottle thrown from the stands in 2007, or the bizarre incident in 2002 when someone in the crowd hit a security guard with a crutch one of his friends had snuck in – the mind boggles.Yet there is also room for beauty and brotherhood. When Sevilla’s academy graduate Antonio Puerta died at the age of 22 from a heart attack in 2007, Betis fans laid floral tributes, displayed banners in his honour, and some of the most moving videos you are ever likely to see involve people in green and white shirts consoling their tearful city rivals in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.last_img read more

first_imgBy Des Bieler | The Washington PostWashington’s increasingly makeshift situation at quarterback has done nothing to end questions about why the team has been hesitant to sign Colin Kaepernick. For his part, the noted free agent was reported Sunday to be “ready and willing” to play for Washington.That’s according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, who cited “two sources close to the former NFL quarterback” in reporting that Kaepernick “would be willing to play for (Washington) as early as …last_img read more

first_imgThis is a riff from my friend, Chris Brogan, who has been doing this exercise since 2007. You choose three words (no more) to use as themes, or frames, for the coming twelve months. I have found this exercise useful, even when I didn’t honor some of the themes as well as I might have.My three words for 2019 are:Velocity: The word “velocity” is sometimes mistaken for the word “speed.” But “velocity” means speed in a certain direction, adding to speed the idea about how much ground you are actually covering. This word honors the idea of Polaris (a 2018 theme) which provided direction and adds speed of progress.Execution: No matter how good an idea is, your results will never be what they could be without deliberate, intentional, flawless execution. Execution is 99% of the results produced by a great idea. Sometimes you don’t need a new idea or a new strategy to improve your results. What is often missing is the relentless execution that never fails to improve your outcomes.Potential: I know the 40% idea Goggins refers to when he describes the point where most people quit. His belief is that once you reach the point where you want to quit, you are only at 40% of your real capacity. My own experience tells me this is true. As far as I can tell, no human being has ever reached their full potential, no matter what they have achieved. This theme is about deploying my resources to their full potential, and ensuring my projects and businesses reach their potential.My Past Year’s Three Words2018 Polaris (the North Star, direction), Via Negative (improvement by subtraction), and Leverage (more with less).2017: Integrated, Impeccable, and Essential.2016: Growth, Multiplier, and Focus2015: Order, Depth, and Lifestyle2014: Pivot, Frames, Margin2013: Platform, Lean, Tribeslast_img read more