first_imgThe Liberia Football Association, family and sympathizers yesterday mourned the death of former Secretary General of the association, B. Alphonso Armah.Mr. Armah reported died yesterday morning following his arrival from India, where he had sought medical attention from a debilitating disease.At the funeral yesterday at the Gurley Street Mosque, Imam Ibrahim Kamara led a throng of worshippers and friends to honor the memory of the deceased.At the service, a large number of friends, family, and well-wishers, many in tears, wished the deceased goodbye.After the brief service, interment followed at the Old Road Muslim Cemetery in Monrovia.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgThe body of a Guyanese man was last week found in DeKalb County, Georgia, United States of America.Dead is 58-year-old Darnley Colin Marshall. The DeKalb Police said the man was killed and his body burnt, according to FOX 5 Atlanta.It was reported that park workers at the Southeast Athletic Complex off Hillvale Road discovered the man’s burnt body on the morning of Thursday, February 28.A dumpster beside Marshall’s charred remains was also burnt. According to the Police report, workers found the gate had been secured with a chain, yet the park gate is never locked.Dead: Darnley Colin MarshallFOX 5 Atlanta reported that the Police could not have identified the dead man that said day. In fact, it was only until the following day when relatives found out about the discovery that the man was identified.Relatives of the now dead man, who is a father of six, are demanding justice as they search for answers as to what happened.“Who would do something like that to him?” FOX 5 Atlanta reported Marshall’s sister Olive Haly as saying. “Come forward and speak the truth.”The Georgia news agency reported that family members claimed that Marshall’s cellphone, as well as his 2015 red Suzuki Boulevard motorcycle, is still missing.Police are said to be searching for clues related to a motive and any possible suspects.last_img read more

first_imgMichelle Oakes watched with pride last season as she assisted on the winning goal by her sister, Katie, in El Camino Real of Woodland Hills’ victory over Chatsworth in the City Section girls’ soccer semifinals. In Wednesday’s semifinal match, all eyes were on George and Cheryl Oakes’ youngest child, including those of older sister Jill. And they were treated to one of the defining moments in Michelle’s stellar career. “I just wanted to go out and play hard and do whatever I could to help my team win. But the opportunity came and I took advantage of it.” Oakes capitalized on a poor clearance inside Hamilton’s penalty box to score in the 43rd minute, then benefited from a ball that ricocheted off goalkeeper Marisa Escamilla’s arm following a cross from Megan Quinn with 10 minutes left. She secured the hat trick with a 20-yard shot that caromed off Escamilla’s hands and under the crossbar in the 74th minute. “We had so many opportunities to score in the first half, but I’m never worried because the game is 80 minutes and we’re always 80 minutes ready,” ECR coach Eric Choi said. “In order for us to get to (the City final), I challenged the seniors to lead us there. Michelle stepped up and led us and so did Erin Kelly. I’m very proud of my girls.” Oakes recorded a hat trick, all in the second half, in her final home game to lead the host Conquistadores to a 3-0 victory over fourth-seed Hamilton (14-3-1), lifting ECR to its seventh consecutive City final. “I wasn’t planning any of it,” said Oakes, who led the top-seeded Conquistadores (19-2-4) to their 30th consecutive playoff victory. center_img Ashley Menin recorded five saves, with Chelsea Forte, Jessica Stadheim and Erin O’Leary preserving the shutout. “(In the second half) we knew that we needed to come out and do something,” O’Leary said. “It was our last home game and we had to go for it.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_img0Shares0000Italy not being at the World Cup will be a new experience for most of the country’s fans © AFP / Piero CRUCIATTIMILAN, Italy, Nov 14 – After the initial shock and disbelief, heartbroken Italians on Tuesday demanded answers as to why the one-time stars of the global game had missed the World Cup finals for the first time in 60 years.The Italian press called it an “apocalypse” for the four-time world champions, who failed to qualify for the 1958 World Cup but have played every other edition apart from the inaugural tournament in 1930. Tearful captain Gianluigi Buffon quit international football and coach Gian Piero Ventura said he would consider his future after the Azzurri drew 0-0 with Sweden on Monday to lose 1-0 on aggregate.There was disbelief among the 75,000 fans in Milan’s San Siro Stadium with 14.8 million stunned Italians watching their national fall from grace on television.The Italian football federation called crisis talks for Wednesday with 69-year-old Ventura expected to be sacked with federation chief Carlo Tavecchio also under pressure to resign.“As you know, it’s up to the boss to take responsibility. If I were him (Tavecchio), I’d resign,” said Giovanni Malago, the president of Italian Olympic Committee CONI.For many the defeat reflects a profound malaise in Italian football with the 2006 World Cup triumph having been followed by early exits from the last two World Cups.Italian footballers react at the end of their FIFA 2018 World Cup qualification second leg match against Sweden, at the San Siro stadium in Milan, on November 13, 2017 © AFP / Miguel MEDINASports Minister Luca Lotti lamented “a very sad day for sport”.“It’s clear we must rebuild the world of football and that we have to make decisions that we may not have had the courage to take in recent years,” said Lotti.“We did not discover the problems yesterday. We have been eliminated in the group phase of the last two World Cups. There is so much to do, now we must take this opportunity to rebuild Italian football from youth level up to Serie A.”For Buffon it was a national catastrophe more than a personal disappointment.“I’m not sorry for myself but all of Italian football, because we failed at something which also means something on a social level,” he said.The 39-year-old goalkeeper, who has 175 international caps and was an integral part of the 2006 World Cup victory in Germany, had been hoping to compete in a record sixth World Cup.But Ventura made no announcement about his position despite failing to lead the 1934, 1938, 1982 and 2006 winners to their 19th World Cup.– ‘Resign? I don’t know’ –Italian supporters watch the FIFA World Cup 2018 qualification football match Italy vs Sweden TV broadcast at a pub in Rome, on November 13, 2017 © AFP / Filippo MONTEFORTEThe former Torino coach said he would first talk to the federation president before making a decision on his future.“Resign? I don’t know. I have to evaluate an infinity of things. I have not yet spoken to the president,” said Ventura. “It doesn’t depend on me, I’m not in the state of mind to face this question.“It’s a very heavy result to bear, because I was absolutely convinced that we had this ferocious desire to overcome the obstacle.”Fans were struggling to come to terms with the prospect of a World Cup without their team.“It is really very sad because watching the World Cup was something that really brought us together as Italians,” said graduate Stefania Pusateri.A man reads Italian sport newspaper “Gazetta dello Sport” with a front page reading “End” a day after the elimination of Italy during the FIFA World Cup 2018 qualification football match against Sweden, on November 14, 2017 in a food market in Rome © AFP / Tiziana FABI“But what is sure is that the shock will be even worse for my father. He is 54 years old and he has never had to go through something like this.”Drinking coffee the morning after, young Roman Carlo said Ventura did not deserve all the blame.“The truth is we haven’t replaced the players we had in the past. World-class players like Roberto Baggio, (Alessandro) Del Piero, (Francesco) Totti: they just aren’t there any more.”– Newspaper shares plummet –The economic fallout of defeat was immediately felt with shares in the country’s leading sports paper La Gazetta dello sport plummeting on the Milan stock exchange.Shares were suspended in the middle of the afternoon after dropping 8.83 percent.“The fact that Italy will not participate in the World Cup is a new negative for the media sector,” said analysts Equita of the global showcase which “attracts important advertising revenue”.La Gazzetta generated over two million euros in additional revenue from advertising during Euro 2016.Its banner headline on Tuesday morning stated simply: “End”, while a headline on its website declared: “Italy, this is the apocalypse.”“Wasted chances, a bit of bad luck but zero goals in 180 minutes against the Swedes, who will go to Russia,” the daily commented.Corriere dello Sport said it will be painful to be on the sidelines when the action starts in Russia in June.“It is an intolerable football shame, an indelible stain,” the newspaper said.“It is over. Apocalypse, tragedy, catastrophe.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_img0Shares0000Germany’s headcoach Joachim Loew said the 1-1 draw with Spaint was a test in which “we were able to learn a lot” ahead of the World Cup © AFP/File / Patrik STOLLARZDUSSELDORF, Germany, Mar 24 – Germany head coach Joachim Loew says he knows the areas where the defending champions must improve before the World Cup after drawing 1-1 with Spain on Friday.Rodrigo Moreno put Spain ahead after just six minutes in Duesseldorf, but hosts Germany levelled when Thomas Mueller hit a superb equaliser in his 90th international. “There was a good intensity to the game, it was a test in which we were able to learn a lot,” said Loew.“Both teams have room to improve and you do not always want to show everything so soon before a World Cup.”Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta gave the Germany midfield a masterclass during the first 45 minutes.The 33-year-old outplayed Germany midfielders Sami Khedira and Toni Kroos by producing countless silky passes at the heart of Spain’s attack.Great leveller: Thomas Mueller equalises for Germany in the 1-1 draw with Spain © AFP / Odd ANDERSEN“You could see that Spain had a lot of combinations who play together regularly and had that automatic understanding,” said Loew.“We knew that Spain are hard to defend against, you have to almost defend against them man-to-man.“We wanted to see a few mistakes, so we know which areas we need to work on.“Both teams will have more to show by the time the World Cup comes around.”Spain, who host Argentina on Tuesday in Madrid, are now 17 games unbeaten while Germany’s run is 22 without defeat as they prepare to play Brazil in Berlin, also on Tuesday.Germany were punished for living dangerously as Spain dominated the early exchanges.Mats Hummels was at fault for the opening goal, leaving too much space for Iniesta to tuck the ball behind the German defence for Moreno to score.“At the start, we had real problems, but then we managed to start playing well, which is also a sign of our quality,” said Hummels.Germany’s Real Madrid midfielder Kroos admitted Spain were the better team early on.“The first 20 minutes belonged to the Spanish, after that we played well,” said Kroos.“All in all, it’s a fair result, it was a good game and a good test for us.“We’re at a good level, but we can still play better, especially in defence where we allowed the Spanish too much room.”Spain coach Julen Lopetegui took the positives from having frustrated the Germans in their own backyard.“Overall, I see this match very positively,” said the Spain boss, who praised Thiago Alcantara and Isco for the problems they caused in Germany’s midfield.“We played against the best of the world champions at (their) home.“We played with personality, ambition, rigour and confidence in who we are.“I’m happy with the performances of Thiago and Isco.“Of course, there are always things to improve.“The score is fair, we can not claim to have dominated for 90 minutes against the Germans, but we tried to play all our cards and we tried to win the match.“It was a great game for the spectators, between two teams who really wanted to win.”0Shares0000(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_imgSOCCER: Finn Harps head to Cork this Saturday in the League of Ireland Quarter-Finals, in which will be a thriller of a game.Finn Harps travel to Cork this Saturday hoping they can beat Cork City in the League of Ireland Quater-Finals.Both teams finished second in their group, Sligo Rovers had won the their last group game against Finn Harps which meant that they would not get home preference, However Harps will be travelling in full comfidence after having a brilliant season, and will have a full strength squad on Saturday. Cork City missed out on topping their group as UCD came out victors against waterford.Finn Harps defence will need to be on their toes against Cork City.The formidable strike force of Cork City have scored an incredible 44 goals in 12 league matches.Bj Banda will be hoping he can get a goal after not scoring in his last game. Mark Coyle is out with suspenion after being sent off in their previous game. However Harps have players coming back from injury such as Declan Sharkey and Ciaran Kelly.Harps will travel down the night before and will have plenty of rest before the big game.The game kicks off at 1pm at Bishopstown, the winner plays UCD or Shamrock Rovers.Lets hope Harps can go out and win, after such a succesful season.HARPS TRAVEL TO CORK TO MAKE HISTORY IN ALL IRELAND QUARTER-FINAL was last modified: November 27th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BJ BandaCork Cityfinn harpslast_img read more

first_imgA meeting will take place tomorrow (Friday) in an attempt to find a solution to the right of way access issues at Castlegoland Beach in Portnoo.An action group was established this summer after an electric fence and barrier were placed at the traditional paths to the beach which run through the Narin and Portnoo Golf Club.Locals are campaigning to restore the paths which they say had been open for at least 100 years. Knather Acquisitions, who took over the golf links last year, said that the barriers were erected on health and safety grounds.Save Our Beach At Castlegoland campaigners had scheduled another protest walk this Saturday, but this event has been postponed pending a meeting between the golf club owner and Donegal County Council this Friday.It is understood that Donegal County Council representatives and local councillors will meet with Donegal-born businessman Liam McDevitt, owner of Knather Acquisitions and the golf club, to seek a solution to the current issues.The Save Our Beach group has agreed to cancel their protest this Saturday to avoid “escalating a delicate position” as they hope for an amicable agreement to be reached. Meeting arranged to find solution to beach access issue was last modified: August 29th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:castlegolandlast_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest We are still hanging in there. I can relate to the folks who are watching their crops go backwards in slow motion. We have had a few rare dry days here. You don’t realize how much you appreciate sunshine until you have a year like this.The weed pressure that is coming is the most important thing we are watching right now. We were lucky and got the vast majority of the corn sprayed before it turned wet but we haven’t really sprayed any beans yet. It is pretty obvious which fields need sprayed and in a hurry. Even though ground conditions are not ideal, given the forecast we are going to spray some beans today in the most desperate fields. The grasses are really starting to come and the giant ragweed is pretty obvious.The way this business works is that the years when the crops are getting beat up you have to invest more money in them just to preserve what you have when you know you are getting less of a gross dollar coming in at the end of the season. It looks like it will be one of those years. We have to bump up our herbicide rate and change our program to take care of some of these weeds that are bigger.Average isn’t quite what it seems to be. The mind has a way of remembering all of the wonderful years and forgetting the horrible ones. With that in mind, I would say we are looking at below average crops here, but I did do some traveling and I am very thankful for what we’ve got verses what I’ve seen.We didn’t have any prevented planting, but I saw some prevented planting field and I saw some fields where they wish it was prevented planting. We are born and bred to plant a crop, but the advice we have been given in the past is to run the numbers and take the emotion out of it. I objected to that advice, but it is the best thing to do and then you hope you never have to do it again.last_img read more

first_imgJapan is going to build a war museum at the hillock at Maiba Lokpa in Bishnupur district, Manipur, where a Japanese camp was located during World War II. The Japanese ambassador to India, Kenji Hiramatsu, said about 70,000 Japanese soldiers had died in battles from March to June 1944 in Imphal and Kohima. He said that the mortal remains would be located for the last rites and sought the cooperation of the people. Twenty-five persons would be invited to Japan from Nagaland and Manipur. Besides, a seminar would be held in November to help students who want to study in Japan.Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh welcomed the plan to build a museum and promised all assistances to the Japanese government.last_img read more

first_imgA day after the Supreme Court indicated that BSP chief Mayawati might have to repay the money spent on erecting statues and memorials in parts of Uttar Pradesh, the senior leader urged media to not “distort” the oral observation of the court.“Sure to get justice in this matter also. Media and BJP leaders please stop kite flying,” Ms. Mayawati said on Saturday.Taking to Twitter, Ms. Mayawati said marvellous memorials and parks “built to honour hitherto ignored great Sants, Gurus and great men born in deprived and oppressed Dalit and OBCs are new grand identity and tourist attraction of Uttar Pradesh which gives regular income to government.”“We are of the tentative view that Mayawati has to deposit the public money spent on her statues and party symbol to the State exchequer,” Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi orally observed on Friday, while hearing a petition alleging that crores worth of public money was spent by then Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister on these acts of self-aggrandisement.last_img read more