first_imgAs part of efforts to keep youths engaged in constructive activities under the Social Crime Prevention Programme, Police ranks in D Division (West Demerara) on Monday donated sport gear to the Vergenoegen Sports Club.This donation was done in light of a request made by the Club, which has been adopted by Police, to the Divisional Commander, Senior Superintendent of Police, Stephen Mansell and his team during a visit two months ago.Commander Mansell had committed to assisting the Club and made good on this promise on Monday when he handed oD Division Commander Stephen Mansell handing over the gear to Club President, Pastor George Stewart in the presence of Club members and Police ranksver a quantity of sport gear to Club President, Pastor George Stewart.Before handing over the gear, the Commander urged Club members to care for the items that were given to them, which he hoped would assist greatly in their activities.Pastor Stewart expressed gratitude to the Police for the donation. He remarked that the footballs and cricket bats, pads and keeping gloves were a timely gift.This is another community-based initiative undertaken by the D Division, aimed at targeting early school leavers and unemployed youthsthrough sports.last_img read more

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Benitez now free to walk out of Newcastleby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveRafa Benitez could walk out of Newcastle United today.The Mirror says the only thing keeping manager Benitez from walking out before now has been the £6million he would have had to pay to his sportswear tycoon boss for breaking his contract.But that clause has now expired, and Benitez can quit St James’ Park for nothing.However, he recognises any movement in the manager’s chair could end in relegation disaster.Even though he is putting his managerial head on the block by staying put, he doesn’t want to turn his back on the Geordie fans. last_img read more

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Zidane: Strong Courtois aware of the situationby Carlos Volcano20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane has defended Thibaut Courtois.Courtois was withdrawn at half-time with Real trailing 2-0 against Club Bruges in midweek, and the club later said the Belgian had been suffering from gastroenteritis – rather than an anxiety attack as claimed in the Spanish media.Courtois was jeered by members of the home support during the 2-2 Champions League draw.On Courtois, Zidane said: “Regardless of whether it’s fair or not, it is what it is. He’s strong and is aware of the situation. The first-half performance the other day was down to everyone.”The important thing is how he’s feeling. He’s not the only one who was responsible for that first half against Bruges. At Real Madrid you’re not allowed to make any mistakes, we can never concede and always have to score. Whenever that doesn’t happen, bad things are always going to be said about Real Madrid. We always have to give our all.”Nobody is a guaranteed starter, not Courtois or anybody else. I never said that. I’m going to use all of them.” last_img read more

first_imgAston Villa goalkeeper Tom Heaton: Embrace top 2 testby Paul Vegasa day agoSend to a friendShare the loveAston Villa goalkeeper Tom Heaton says they must embrace their upcoming two games.Villa travel to reigning champions Manchester City on Saturday before hosting current leaders Liverpool the following weekend.Goalkeeper Heaton said: “They are widely regarded as the two best teams in the league and we are playing them back-to-back – that is what the Premier League is all about.“There is no fear or worry there. It is just a hunger to go and embrace the games, to go and put our stamp on them and try and get the wins.“Of course, it is going to be tough. We know how much quality they gave got. They are both great sides.“But we have a lot of quality here. These are the kind of teams you want to go up against. We have seen already this season it can be done. We just want to make sure we give ourselves the best chance.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arsenal boss Emery pressed about dumped Ozilby Paul Vegas9 hours agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal boss Unai Emery was reluctant to discuss Mesut Ozil’s situation last night.Emery did not consider Ozil for their Europa League win over Vitoria.Pushed about the German, the manager would only say: “Tonight is not the day to speak about that.”I prefer to speak about the match. We have all the players who played.”He’s not in the squad. That is the decision tonight. Now we are going to work towards Sunday.” last_img read more

first_imgPARIS – The first paying guests to the ground-floor studio flat newly posted on Airbnb were innocuous enough: A family, come to experience the joys of Paris, like many millions of others.Franck Briand, who lives in the apartment directly above, now looks back on that moment as the start of what he calls his Airbnb “nightmare.” The ensuing four years, he says, have been an incessant carousel of late-night parties, drunken revelers and the rattle of newly arrived groups, sometimes 15 at a time, dragging wheeled suitcases across the cobbled courtyard.“I want to leave,” Briand says. “But I said to myself that it shouldn’t be the weakest, those under threat, who give in.”Paris, long one of the world’s top destinations, is still grateful for the billions of euros (dollars) that tourists pump into the French capital’s economy and the 300,000 jobs they sustain. But Parisians and City Hall officials also are expressing deep qualms about having so many visitors directly in their midst, no longer largely corralled in hotels but instead living, albeit temporarily, cheek-by-jowl with locals in properties rented online.The backlash in Paris against intrusive, on-your-doorstep tourism hasn’t yet reached the proportions of other heavily visited cities. Venice and Barcelona, among other destinations, have seen repeated protests. But concerns voiced in top European destinations are often the same: That mass tourism and its online platforms are hollowing cities out, driving away locals with higher prices, higher rents and sheer inconvenience.Jacques Boutault, mayor of Paris’ central 2nd arrondissement, is among those sounding the alarm. The rectangular district he oversees, boxed in by some of the city’s must-visit sites, including the Pompidou art museum, has experienced a precipitous population decline as Airbnb has taken Paris by storm, with more listings than any other city worldwide.“The population is changing completely, from those who have been here for years to one that is just passing through,” says Boutault, the district mayor since 2001. The 2nd arrondissement has lost 3,000 inhabitants in the past four years, more than 10 per cent of its total and many of them families, he says. The district’s schools have shut three classes as a result.“I don’t want to be the mayor of a museum, that’s to say pretty walls where people spend a bit of time and then leave,” Boutault says. “It’s important that town centres remain authentic and alive. In fact, that’s what tourists come for.”In 2012, Airbnb had 4,000 Paris-area listings. That surged to more than 40,000 by 2015, when Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky was welcomed at City Hall. Three years on, Airbnb counts 65,000 listings inside Paris alone. But relations with City Hall have soured.Paris Deputy Mayor Ian Brossat, in charge of housing, says the capital has lost 20,000 homes in five years, “homes that were lived in by Parisians but are now populated by tourists. They are no longer homes, they are clandestine hotels.”“Airbnb has veered away from its original model,” he says. “We’ve gone from a sharing economy to a type of predatory economy, with professionals that bought homes, sometimes buildings, in bulk to transform them into cash machines. So our role is to restore some order.”To regulate the growth of Airbnb and similar platforms, Paris has since December required proprietors who list online to register. Parisians are only allowed to rent out the property they actually live in to tourists, and for a total of no more than 120 days a year. Any other Paris residence they may have can’t be rented to tourists at all.But even with inspection teams going door-to-door and fines for the most egregious violators, the rules remain scantily enforced. Brossat is now lobbying for a blanket ban on tourist rentals in central Paris, arguing that home owners in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th arrondissements — “those most impacted by the Airbnb phenomenon,” he says — should still be allowed to rent out spare rooms but not their entire property.Airbnb France, in a statement, called Brossat’s proposal “out of touch with public opinion, divorced from legal reality.” It said renting out properties on Airbnb helps Parisians “boost their income and afford rising living costs in their communities, where housing capacity has failed to meet demand for decades.”More pressure on Airbnb and similar sites is coming with a new housing law about to get parliament’s final blessing. It opens the door for large fines to be levied against sites that host properties not in conformity with French regulations.Brossat expects the law to mark a turning point.“The gentrification of Paris didn’t start with Airbnb. But Airbnb is an accelerator of gentrification,” he said. “The risk is that Paris becomes a city no longer lived in by inhabitants but solely by tourists or foreign investors.”___Oleg Cetinic contributed to this report.last_img read more

first_imgVICTORIA, B.C. — Citizens’ Services Minister Jinny Sims announced yesterday that the provincial government will contribute $7 million for Shaw Communications to build a fibre-optic cable along the Hart Highway between Prince George and Dawson Creek.The fibre optic line that will be built from the Northern Cariboo to the Peace Region will be just over 400 kilometres in length, and is one of four connectivity projects being funded by the B.C. government. Shaw has had issues serving the Peace Region in the past, and yesterday’s announcement came just one day after an issue with a fibre line caused Shaw customers in Fort St. John, Taylor, and Dawson Creek to experience a service interruption. Last year, Shaw customers in the Peace experienced three separate outages due to issues with the company’s network.On Tuesday, Sims announced that the Province and Feds are both partnering with internet service providers on $38 million worth of Internet infrastructure across B.C., with the provincial government contributing $11.3 million in total. “This is not just an investment in high-speed internet, it’s an investment in the future for those living in rural, First Nations and Indigenous communities, so they have access to cutting-edge emergency services, high-quality health care, world-class education and improved ability to participate in the growing digital economy,” said Sims. “By working with our federal and local partners, we are leveraging relationships to give people in these communities the same internet access as those living in major urban centres.”The announcement was part of an event hosted by Canada’s Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains, as the federal government committed a further $19,748,063 to the four projects.“Access to high-speed internet is not a luxury, it’s essential,” said Bains. “High-speed internet service is a basic tool that all Canadians should have access to, regardless of their postal code. Canadians need this service to do business, upgrade their education and build stronger communities. Thanks to our Connect to Innovate program, more Canadians will be able to participate fully in the digital economy.”last_img read more

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Fort St. John branch of 100 Women Who Care will be hearing pitches from local charities on Tuesday, one of which will get a donation of $10,000.The premise of the organization is simple: the 100+ women in attendance at meetings each donate $100, which is pooled and donated to a local charitable organization.Karin Carlson helped start the 100 Women Who Care chapter in the Energetic City in 2017. At the first meeting nearly one year ago, a group of 115 women donated $11,500 to the North Peace Ride for the Disabled.In the Spring, the 101 ladies in attendance donated $10,100 to the Fort St. John Firefighters Charitable Society.This time around, New Day in the Peace Ministries, the Fort St. John Literacy Society, and the Northern Dance Theatre Society were drawn randomly as the three charities that will be competing.The 100 Women will be hosting their third meeting at the Lido on September 11th, at 6:00 p.m. with presentations beginning at 7:00.last_img read more

first_imgCHETWYND, B.C. – RCMP responded to a Motor Vehicle Crash East of Chetwynd on Hwy 97 S. On Friday, October 4th, 2019 at 5:05 AM.According to the RCMP, when the police arrived, the driver of the vehicle had left the scene. After a thorough investigation police discover that the vehicle involved had been reported stolen out of Mackenzie BC.With help from members of the community, Chetwynd RCMP was able to track down the driver of the vehicle. The driver, who is well known to police, is a prolific offender from Prince George, the Peace Laird Area and into Alberta. The suspect remains in police custody, pending a future court date and could face charges of Possession of Stolen Property, Possession of Break and Enter Tools, and leaving the scene of an accident.The investigation is ongoing and police ask anyone with information on this matter to call the Chetwynd RCMP at 250 778 9221 or Crime Stoppers at 1 800 222-8477last_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi: The central government has approved a five-fold increase in one-time incentive given to its employees who acquire higher degrees while serving in their departments, officials said Monday.The amount of incentive will be increased from a minimum of Rs 10,000 to a maximum of Rs 30,000 for acquiring higher qualifications like Ph.D, they said. The Personnel Ministry has amended a 20-year-old norm in this regard to increase the amount of incentives provided for the employees. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The government employees acquiring fresh higher qualifications after coming into service were granted incentive in the form of one-time lump-sum amount ranging from Rs 2,000 to Rs 10,000. Now, it has been decided to increase the amount to a minimum of Rs 10,000 to a maximum of Rs 30,000, an order recently issued by the Personnel Ministry stated. While Rs 10,000 will be given for acquiring degree/diploma of duration of three years or less, Rs 15,000 will be given for acquiring degree/diploma having duration of more than three years, it said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KA sum of Rs 20,000 will be given for earning post graduate degree/diploma with one year or less. Such qualification having duration of more than one year will get Rs 25,000 to the employees, the new order stated. A highest incentive of Rs 30,000 will be given to those getting Ph.D or equivalent, it stated. There are around 48.41 lakh central government employees. “No incentive shall be allowed for acquiring higher qualification purely on academic or literary subjects,” it clarified. The acquisition of the qualification should be directly related to the functions of the post held by him/her, or to the functions to be performed in the next higher post, the ministry said. “There should be direct nexus between the functions of the post and the qualification acquired and that it should contribute to the efficiency of the government servant,” it said. The incentive, however, shall not be admissible where the employee is sponsored by the government or he/she avails study leave for acquiring the qualification, the order stated. “The incentive would be given only for higher qualification acquired after induction into service,” it stated. Further, the incentive shall be limited to maximum two times in an employee’s career, with a minimum gap of two years between successive grants, the ministry said. According to Personnel Ministry’s order issued in April 1999, employees were entitled for a minimum of Rs 2,000 and maximum of Rs 10,000 for getting fresh qualifications. While Rs 2,000 was applicable incentive for “passing intermediate examination”, those earning post graduate degree of Ph.D were entitled for a maximum of Rs 10,000.last_img read more